50 hp TldI overheating indicator

BobGlover

Seaman
I put my boat in the lake last week after not using it all summer. The 50 hp TLDI Tohatsu started and ran normally. While going down the lake the temp. indicator buzzer started, along with the indicator light. I looked back and no water was coming from the 'pee hole'. After limping back to the dock, I discovered that wasps had built a nest in the 'pee hole', took a piece of wire and cleaned it out. Water started exiting the hole and the motor ran great the rest of the day. Someone told me since most of the water exits through the propeller exhaust, that shouldn't have caused the temp indicator to come on, and something else may be stopped up. Is that correct?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Correct, a clogged water indicator will not make the temp indicator come on, just tells if the water pump is working ok, do you rinse your engine with fresh water at the end of the boating day ? Could be a thermo related issue ?

Happy Boating

BobGlover

Seaman
Correct, a clogged water indicator will not make the temp indicator come on, just tells if the water pump is working ok, do you rinse your engine with fresh water at the end of the boating day ? Could be a thermo related issue ?

Happy Boating

But since the temp indicator light & buzzer went off after I unclogged the exhaust hole, should I be worried? The motor seemed to run fine afterwards.

pvanv

Admiral
You should be OK. If it has been 3 years or more since the water pump was serviced, you should consider doing that this off-season.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Has the engine a back hole at middle leg, besides the water indicator (peeing port) ?

Happy Boating

BobGlover

Seaman
Good question.....it should, but I really haven't looked. If so, water should have been coming out of it even though the other one was stopped up. Will check next time I hook it up to a flusher.