9.8 Tohatsu oil light

spunkyjr

Seaman
Just changed the oil in the motor at 100 hour period. While I mostly use the motor for trolling I give it full throttle moving from place to place. After I changed the oil I pull the hand chord 8 times to move the fresh oil around. While going the lake yesterday morning I had the trottle wide open and the oil light came on. This was running wide open for about a mile and half. I immediately shut it down and pulled into shore and checked the oil gauge. It was just below the full level. I let it sit for a while and started it back up and no light, as long as I kept the trottle at half I would get no light. I gave it full throttle once while putting the boat on the trailer and the light came back on. Any one have any ideas?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Could be a defective oil switch, are you using the recommended grade oil ?

Happy Boating

pvanv

Admiral
Either you have low pressure (doubtful) or are getting a false indicator. The definitive test is with a mechanical gauge in place of the oil sender.

First thing to do is pull the sender and see if there is any debris that might fool it. Then attach a gauge in place of the sender, and confirm that you have normal pressure. The sender should come on below about 4 psi. Normal pressure while running at speed is about 20-40 psi when hot.

I take it that you are running 10w-30 NMMA-certified FC-W non-synthetic oil, right?

spunkyjr

Seaman
Yes i am running the required oil. It's what the dealer recommened. He''s a Tohatsu dealer. I'll take it up to the dealer since it's still under warrenty. Thanks for the help.