after 2 summers salt water, pretty bad corrosion, trying to figure out what to do

Lund_bC

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi, I have had no choice but to keep this little nissan 8hp 2stroke in the salt water the last two summers, just not practical to take to rinse out or even flush the motor very often, i understand this motor won't last long under these conditions, but this is needed for it's usage.

As you see under the paint on the leg there is several bubbles, the picture i attached showing the worst.. i sprayed the motor as much as could with wf-40, but as you see these bubbles are bad all of a sudden the last few weeks really. I am not sure what i should do to try to prolong it's life, i am thinking of girding down the bubbles to see if there is good metal under and repaint, is this a good idea even ?

How bad does this look ? just a little rust under the paint that can grid off or just trashed ? is there something going on because of the fins that came with the motor maybe or also one of the nipple on the grease things was replaced with an automotive one, the anode on the trim tab part is about 1/3 gone or so, i was thinking to replace but wondering if something else is going on and how to stop and repair this, have the motor out now it trying to try to fix it as much as possible.

Thanks everyone !

Attachments

• photo208841.jpg
    photo208841.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Lund_bC

Petty Officer 2nd Class
also, doesn't this seem to be a bit extreme, it seems other outboards i have seen after a decade in the salt are sometimes in better shape

alldodge

Staff member
Salt water as we all know is bad news for about every kind of metal. The drives which hold up better are the ones which the manufacture has prepared the metal to accept paint which will keep salt away from it. They are called by different names, seacore, ocean and others. It appears yours was not protected as well and this will continue if not better prepared for the environment. To slow it down you will need to remove all deposits and clean surface to bare metal. Then prime and paint the surfaces according to the paint manufactures requirements. I would suggest an epoxy paint and primer.

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer
Salt water as we all know is bad news for about every kind of metal. The drives which hold up better are the ones which the manufacture has prepared the metal to accept paint which will keep salt away from it. They are called by different names, seacore, ocean and others. It appears yours was not protected as well and this will continue if not better prepared for the environment. To slow it down you will need to remove all deposits and clean surface to bare metal. Then prime and paint the surfaces according to the paint manufactures requirements. I would suggest an epoxy paint and primer.

+1

Just consider wire wheel/wire brushing cleaning and repainting as part of a annual maintenance to try and prolong the life...........

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Used to have a similar issue on a 18 HP, was used all year round at sea, but well flushed after its use, had to re paint the entire LU with epoxic paint. Check all your anodes condition, if covered with salt, remove all, sand them and put them back, needs to work clean, if too corroded or small, replace for new ones.

Check that ground cable connecting swivel bracket to LU is salt freee, clean/sand both side contacts, must be immaculate clean to provide good ground.

Corrosion is in part due to anodes or cable/ground contact not doing their homework well. If boat and engine lives permanently on water during summer, assume engine remains tilted up when combo is not in use, right ?

To avoid more corrosion on peeled part and beyond, peel all LU paint, apply an epoxy primer and paint as suggested by Midcarolina. Don't forget to check anodes and ground cable after that.

Happy Boating

Last edited: