1997 HONDA BF40A Power Problems

cody93

Recruit
1997 Honda BF40A

The motor would only run at high speed when I held the choke half way out. Eventually holding the choke out didn't work and the motor would run but not get to top speed and every once in while you could feel it trying to get there but couldn't. Had the 3 carbs professionally cleaned and repaired. Motor then would run at high speed on land but wouldn't get there on the water. I changed thE fuel filter and after running it at high speed it eventually worked fine. Now I am having problems getting it started for the first 10 min on the lake. Eventually starts but but it still at times doesn't want to get to top speed and runs rough.

The question is.....carb problems still? or should my next fix be to replace the fuel pump??? Any help is appreciated. If it is a fuel pump and I would like to buy it soon. Some sites have it sale for around $70.

Thanks

Last edited:

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer
Curious: Did the mechanic who rebuilt the carbs sinc them together? This small detail is critical for the entire engine to run properly. The motor will start, idle, and run much better when this is done.