Clutch on?

TwoRivers

Petty Officer 1st Class
My 25NS3 is running lean. I have my pilot adjustment screw set to 1 1/2 turns out.
I just cleaned the carb and I'm looking at the factory manual.
It says to "Set carburetor adjusting screw with the clutch on."
Does that mean it needs to be in forward gear?
Not sure what "clutch on" means?
Help appreciated, thanks
rob

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
TR,

By lean do you mean erratic at idle and neutral ? CRC will cure all of that. Set pilot screw 10 mm + 0.5 mm measured from screw base to tip with a proper tool. The best way to adjust idle rpm at neutral is to adjust pawl screw enough as to maintain engine on while shifting forward. Ideal is to hear a light clak sound when shifting forward, if too loud back screw CCW some, if tends to die adjust + CW untill this condition is met. Check plugs, gap or regap them to 1.0 mm tight, feeler gauge must not fall from plug pr pass loose. Engine must be fully warm before adjusting pawl screw. Post results.

Happy Boating

TwoRivers

Petty Officer 1st Class
TR,

By lean do you mean erratic at idle and neutral ? CRC will cure all of that. Set pilot screw 10 mm + 0.5 mm measured from screw base to tip with a proper tool. The best way to adjust idle rpm at neutral is to adjust pawl screw enough as to maintain engine on while shifting forward. Ideal is to hear a light clak sound when shifting forward, if too loud back screw CCW some, if tends to die adjust + CW untill this condition is met. Check plugs, gap or regap them to 1.0 mm tight, feeler gauge must not fall from plug pr pass loose. Engine must be fully warm before adjusting pawl screw. Post results.

Happy Boating

Checked the ceramic on new properly gapped plugs and they appear to be very light brown after about two hours of use?
Boat idles a little rough, but never stalls and always starts easily.
The other day I was out fishing and had trouble maintaining trolling speed in 1.8 to 2.3 mph range.
Motor labored roughly at low speed.
When I accelerate it seems like there is a vibration of some sort and something is holding the boat back until I hit mid throttle then it takes off like a bat out of h*ll.
(Maybe a bent prop?)
I messed with the pilot adjustment screw some but never got things figured out.
Came home took the carb apart. There was some fine dirt in the bowl. Never saw that before.
So I cleaned the carb paying special attention to the low speed jet.
Put everything back together. Measured the pilot screw at close to 10mm but didn't start it yet.
Waiting on a new tank connector and tank side hose connector. I've been using those cheapo Atwood universal connectors for multiple tanks but they're plastic and I think they're giving me some problems.
Luis, not sure what a pawl is? Do you mean the idle set screw?
I'll try a can of the CRC. I'll order it from Iboats.
thanks for your response.
rob

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
TR,

Yes, is the vertical idle screw. CRC should take care of idle misbehavior, took near inmediately care on my 18. On 30 HP engine find that throttle has too much dead slack when fully backed to turtle side. If you want a shorter engine throtttle response, you can adjust lower B stopper fully in as in pict. Will need to back idle screw to previous rpm as will be increased a bit. If all plastic throttle parts are worn or with excessive side play will give a inconsistent throttthe response. Those parts are cheap, change all if required.

Once idle screw is well adjusted, apply some nail polish under lower screw located under carb's pawl, that way with vibration will remain locked in position. If your engine still vibrates after CRC is aplied you have 2 issues : Tiller friction plate nut is too loose, adjust enough CW as to have a straigh water course when releasing tiller, or you have worn plastic bushings (2) located at both extremes of swivel bracket's steering shaft.

Happy Boating

TwoRivers

Petty Officer 1st Class
TR,

Yes, is the vertical idle screw. CRC should take care of idle misbehavior, took near inmediately care on my 18. On 30 HP engine find that throttle has too much dead slack when fully backed to turtle side. If you want a shorter engine throtttle response, you can adjust lower B stopper fully in as in pict. Will need to back idle screw to previous rpm as will be increased a bit. If all plastic throttle parts are worn or with excessive side play will give a inconsistent throttthe response. Those parts are cheap, change all if required.

Once idle screw is well adjusted, apply some nail polish under lower screw located under carb's pawl, that way with vibration will remain locked in position. If your engine still vibrates after CRC is aplied you have 2 issues : Tiller friction plate nut is too loose, adjust enough CW as to have a straigh water course when releasing tiller, or you have worn plastic bushings (2) located at both extremes of swivel bracket's steering shaft.

Happy Boating

Louis,
I have a remote box with a throttle cable. The cable is new and was installed by a Tohatsu dearler who went over things pretty well. He ran it on the muffs and told me that you can't really tell what's going on until you get it out on the water. He was right. It runs pretty crappy on the water. The remote box is in good shape.
I found some dirt in the carb, not gum or varnish but granular dirt. It wasn't sand because it broke down when I pressed with my finger.
I'm anxious to see how it runs after cleaning the carb and hooking up the new tank and line connectors. Seems there had to be some dirt trapped in the idle circuit and I never trusted those plastic connectors from the day I started using them? Connectors won't be here until Wednesday.
I'll try to drop it in the river sometime Wednesday and let you know how it's running.
thanks for your help
rob

TwoRivers

Petty Officer 1st Class
Update: The connectors got here but I ordered the wrong connector (engine side instead of tank side) and had to re-order.
Couldn't wait for the new connector so I took the boat out yesterday.
Boat ran much better with good acceleration throughout entire throttle range. Vibration was gone.
Idles better, trolls better. WOT about 6,000 rpm only pushing 16 ft boat about 20 mph.
Overall I'm happy with the motor but it seems a little slow?
The 30 hp Suzuki I replaced with this motor would easily do 24 mph with two people and gear in boat?
Wonder if a different prop or rigging would help? Not sure what prop I have on it. The motor came off a pontoon boat at a HP restricted lake.
I'll take a video of it running.
thanks
rob

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Rob,

So you're doing 6 K at full wot, is that with you alone and bare empty boat ? If so, you're bit over revving that engine as its max wot rpm is is 5850. Ok for a pontoon heavier boat. Could go 1 pitch up to be around those factory stated numbers.

Is engine sitting at the sweet transom height ? Top thrust can only be achieved there in order to take the max punch out of that 30.

Happy Boating

TwoRivers

Petty Officer 1st Class
Rob,

So you're doing 6 K at full wot, is that with you alone and bare empty boat ? If so, you're bit over revving that engine as its max wot rpm is is 5850. Ok for a pontoon heavier boat. Could go 1 pitch up to be around those factory stated numbers.

Is engine sitting at the sweet transom height ? Top thrust can only be achieved there in order to take the max punch out of that 30.

Happy Boating

Yes, I'm alone in the boat. It seems like the prop might be spun or it's the wrong prop? I'll look again to try to figure out what prop I have. All I know for sure is that it's a Michigan so it's not original.
Do you know what the factory issue prop was for this motor?
Waiting for someone (wife or kid) to ride along and steer so I can take a video showing the engine trim, wake and tach.
I hate running down the river at WOT with nobody at the wheel.
Will post video when accomplished. Thanks

Off topic:
Yesterday I fished Lake Erie with a Tohatsu dealer from here in SWPA.
He has a 26 ft. Hewes Craft, Alaskan Sea Runner with three 115 Tohatsu TLDIs. The day before he'd lost a prop on the center motor so we were only running two.
Going out we were in 4 ft rolling waves and it was not issue. We fished seven miles out and he let me bring her back in. The waves settled down to about two footers. I got the boat up on plane and was cruising at what I thought was about 12 mph. When I checked the GPS we were going 27 mph. It was effortless.
Big thrill for me.

rob

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Rob,

The standard factory delivered prop is 13 stamped on prop body,
that's for short shaft engines. And 11 for long shaft engines .

Happy Boating

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
You are propped too low.. Determine what you have and then go up 1 to 2 inches in pitch.