About to pull the trigger on a new Tohatsu, but...

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
As the title states, I'm getting close to purchasing a new Tohatsu kicker. It's for an 18+' aluminum cuddy with a canvas top, so it's got some windage consideration, therefore eliminating the single cylinder 6. So I'm trying to decide between the 8 and the 9.8. The only reason the 8 is a consideration is price. For my use, would it be worth the extra $200 for a long shaft 9.8 over the LS 8? Same engine, different carb, correct?

It will be used on a large lake that generates high wind and seas at times (Champlain), and will be used for trolling, which is 90% of the boat's total running time.

I was going to piggyback on the 6 vs 9.8 thread from a couple of days ago, but figured I should start my own.

I guess I'm just asking if there's any advantage to the 8 hp is price isn't factored into the decision.

Thanks!

paddlers

Seaman Apprentice
Unless there was a considerable difference in weight I'd always go for the extra horses !

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Ya, they're both the same powerhead...same weight and displacement (84#s and 209 cc's). Is the difference between the two long shafts just the carbs? And the 9.8 carb is $200 more?

paddlers

Seaman Apprentice
Sometimes it's just a restricter plate and a couple of jets but you'd need someone more technical than me for that one ! Bear in mind that if you alter anything you'd invalidate any warranty which here in the UK is 5 years!

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks paddlers. I'm not going to alter anything on a new engine. Just trying to figure out which is best for my needs and make an informed purchase.

I guess the 9.8 is the way to go over the 8, and it's still a great deal for a new 4s.

paddlers

Seaman Apprentice
Living in the UK I often envy the prices and availability of gear & fuel in the USA !!!!

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
It's just carb related, wider gas passages. Anyway go for the most ponies, will push boat much better than an 8. A spare 9.8 HP carb will cost less than buying a 9.8 HP. A matter to inquire to any Tohatsu dealer and making the conversion yourself. Engine warranty is other issue.

Happy Boating

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks Paul. I actually just took your advice from another thread and ordered the 9.8.

rocket rich

Petty Officer 1st Class
Not real happy with my 9.8 tohatsu ? shaft is longer than American made motors, it doesn't come out of the hole good enough. Runs good but I understand the carb blocks up, I get mind up to 5980 rpm's which is good but had to fool with it to get it that good. I'd trade mine for a good 2 sroke

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Well, that's the issue of Tohatsu engines compared to American made ones, but will have same issue on all newer US engines as all portables except Yam and Susy are made by Tohatsu these days, blame globalization.

BTW, portable 2 and 4 strokes Tohatsu or rebadged ones have the same longer leg issue.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
I ended up finding an old Honda 7.5 for next to nothing on CL....I had the onlineoutboards checkout page up and decided to check the local CL one more time. Runs great and has good compression. I'd still like a new Tohatsu (I don't care if the shaft is longer, that's actually better for kicker trolling), but it'll wait a couple more seasons. Thanks for the help guys!

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
The old standard of 15 and 20 inches has been long gone for over a decade....It's not an engine issue.