6hp sail pro or 9.8 with high thrust prop?

shoes

Cadet
I have to decide which one to buy as a kicker for my 22ft cabin skiff. Are there thrust specs for both models? I know neither kicker will plane my 8 degree deadrise skiff, so if the 6hp sailpro will move the boat at hull speed, am I wasting $$$ by buying the 9.8 instead?

pvanv

Admiral
59 pounds vs 81 pounds. 1 cyl. vs 2 cyls. Lotso power, and stellar reverse with the 9.8. I have one on my 8,000 pound sailboat. I also have the 6 on my dinghy. The 9.8 is more than you need, but will provide a margin of speed/safety if needed.

Last edited:

shoes

Cadet
A little more detail: my cabin skiff is about 20'LWL with a beam of 66" at the waterline. Total weight of hull with motors and typical load will be about 2200#. It has a modified shallow v bottom with 8 degrees of dearies at the transom. Hull speed is about 6mph.

Does the 6hp sail pro high thrust have more torque than the 9.8? Do they offer a high thrust prop for the 9.8?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If $$ is not an issue go for the 9.8 HP besides beeing a 2 cylinder engine is 86 CC +, that's 209 CC against 123 CC for the 6 HP. High thrust props are 4 bladed, don't know if the Sail model comes with factory delivered High Trust prop, a matter to inquire. A 9.8 HP will move, push more load with les effort than a 6 at fast displacement speeds. There are High Trust props too for the 9.8 model.

Running a High Trust prop does not means that engine will run safely throughout the wot range, for that you neeed to install and induction tach go for a wot spin on flat calm no wind waters check achieved max rpm and see if inside their factory stated working parameters. You can always maximize your engine rpm for best combo performance.

Happy Boating

pvanv

Admiral
Personally, I would run the 9.8 with 7-pitch HT prop. No, the HT prop for the SailPro is not 4 blades; rather it is 3 very large "mouse ear" blades. The HT for the 9.8 also has a large center hub area, so reverse is a lot better. The 9.8 is the biggest of the small motors, yet the smallest of the bigger motors -- it is available S, L, UL... Rope start, electric, remote... even power tilt is available...