NS15B2 No Spark

garrybob

Recruit
Hey Guys,
I’m common sense guy with mechanical ability looking for some help with one of my outboards. It’s a 1990’s vintage Nissan NS15B2 2 cyl 2 stroke (blue body and grey housing). It ran fine one season and no start the next. I have taken it to two marinas who both confirmed that it was a no spark issue. They both said it would take more time and $$$ to diagnose, and most parts are no longer available.
I bought repair manual and downloaded some parts blow-outs and I’m still stuck. The Manual is a 1992-2000 and the NS15B2 isn’t listed (B2 isn’t even listed on the Nissan web site). Maybe it’s older but I can’t tell what year it is. I have replaced the Ignition Coil and the CDI, but still nothing.
I think it might be the exciter coil, but in the parts blow out the exciter appears as the alternator and vise-versa.
Any help? I am looking for an older repair manual, a pulser coil and/or an exciter coil.

pvanv

Admiral
The 15B and B2 date back to the mid 1980's. You can DL an owner's manual from http://www.nissanmarine.com/tech_talk/pdf_files/Nis9-9B_12C_15B_18C.pdf

Many parts are NLA, but the wp kit is about $50, and is part number 362873221M
Precious few carb bits are available, depending on which of the 2 carbs you have (round bowl or octagon bowl), so make sure you keep the carb in good shape, and never allow fuel to sit in in for more than overnight.

So, beware the money pit of an obsolete motor.

If you are 100% sure that you have tried a known-good CD and ignition coil...
Verify the stop switch isn't bad.
Run the ohm meter tests, using a good analog (not digital) meter, to determine the condition of the exciter and pulser (trigger) coils.
The alternator coil has the thicker wire in it, and feeds the lighting connector (or rectifier if so equipped). The motor will run without it.
If your meter can read DVA, you can test the pulses between the CD and ignition coil as well.
Neither the exciter nor trigger are available new any more, so if one is shot, you are done (and the motor is a large paper weight)... except for maybe finding a used part.

garrybob

Recruit
Thanks for the info, where can I find the proper testing numbers for the coils. Found out my motor is a 1988 and my repair manual only has numbers for motors 1992 to 2000.

pvanv

Admiral
Did you test the stop switch? What are the ohm readings for the exciter and trigger?

garrybob

Recruit
Paul,

Stop circuit is fine, I have it disconnected for the tests.

The exciter coil resistance is 251ohms red to black, the exciter peak voltage test between red wire and ground (disconnected from the CD unit) is 64.6 volts (pull start)

The Pulser coil resistance is 60 ohms blue to black and peak voltage is 4.9 volts blue to ground

most of the readings seem to be in the range of what is spec'd for the 15D except the exicter peak voltage, maybe that's just because it's a pull start or the spec's are different from the 15B.

Gary

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Could 15 D2 Exciter Coil 3G3- 060211 be compatible with 15 B2 EC ?

Happy Boating

pvanv

Admiral
Paul,

Stop circuit is fine, I have it disconnected for the tests.

The exciter coil resistance is 251ohms red to black, the exciter peak voltage test between red wire and ground (disconnected from the CD unit) is 64.6 volts (pull start)

The Pulser coil resistance is 60 ohms blue to black and peak voltage is 4.9 volts blue to ground

most of the readings seem to be in the range of what is spec'd for the 15D except the exicter peak voltage, maybe that's just because it's a pull start or the spec's are different from the 15B.

Gary
Your exciter output is way too low. Either the flywheel has a damaged magnet (rare, but it does happen), or the exciter is NG.