I need the specs for the float in my carb. on my Nissan 4 hp 4 stroke

WWWoody

Cadet
I have a Nissan 4 hp 4 stroke long shaft as a kicker on my sailboat. The carb is "3H9CQCI" and the motor model is"NSF4A2D". A friend wanting to help adjusted it by eye and totally leaned me out. I brought it to another friend and he made it better, yet still to lean...I think. This time it will run good but high with just a little choke but if I turn the choke off or let it sit just like that it will die. It will start back up and do it all over again. Can anyone help me?:confused:

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Welcone to Iboats,

If that carb has a float with metal hinge, float must be parallel to carb's base when turned up side down, If with metal hinge bend it accordingly to achieve this condition. If with plastic hinge, change float. Before bending, check needle tip must be sharp pointy with no neck on rubber tip whatsoever. If so, change needle and re check float height.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

pvanv

Admiral
Yep. Parallel. Odds are your carb also needs a Proper Cleaning.

WWWoody

Cadet
Thank you both for your reply.

Sea Rider, I wish I knew what the "carb's base" was. I am assuming it is the bottom of the carb that the bowl screws into. "float must be parallel" Is that the top. bottom or center of the float? I have to take it off again anyways, I'll be right back.

pvanv

Admiral
Invert the carb. The float should sit parallel to the casting... the edge where the bowl attaches. Again, odds are that your float was OK and that the carb is varnished, requiring a Proper cleaning (carb soak in dip, blow out, etc.

WWWoody

Cadet
Invert the carb. The float should sit parallel to the casting...

Done. It was the same thing I was doing, only with the hinge. A good soaking with the proper hole size will be next on the list. I am old an broken and poor. I've pulled on this enough for one day. I was saved by the rain to be truthful. But this might just do it?!

WWWoody

Cadet
The sun came out long enough to get the carb on. Poured on me, then the sun came out again. I didn't see the rainbow but I felt it. It ran better than ever, but it it still to lean. I wish there was a fine tuning screw for it somewhere. A little bit more of what I just did could do it? I thought I was dead nut parallel?

pvanv

Admiral
I repeat that you probably need to de-varnish the low-speed circuit by a Proper soak for 4 hours in carb dip.

WWWoody

Cadet
I repeat pvanv, Thank you very much for your response. Inverting the carb gave me a parallel to work with. Sometimes it takes being told more than once to sink in.

WWWoody

Cadet
Good morning people. I'm going to pull that carb off 1 more time before I start my day. Give it one more shot at this parallel float thing, then I will know it is right and I am buying the dip.

Have a great day. :D

Last edited: