2003 Nissan TLDI 90 hp surging around 2000 RPM

mkennally

Recruit
I purchased this motor used 4 years ago and have had some level of difficulty since new. To date have had 2 of 3 injectors replaced, FFP replaced, a new starter, and thermostat, and several gaskets. This engine has also been very difficult to prop (it is on an 1989 Mako 171). At this time the engine is running much better, however idling in gear at the low and middle key position feels like it wants to stall but I can live with that. What is hard to live with is when the RPM's are at or just above 2000 the engine surges from 2000 to 2400 and back repeatedly. I have reset the TPS and ECU and "feel" it is better for a time but it probably isn't. any help would be appreciated. I am new to forums so if I missed any proper etiquette please let me know.

pvanv

Admiral
Assuming your model is NSD90B. What battery are you using?

mkennally

Recruit
sorry, yes it is NSD90B. The batter is an interstate with 1000cca that I purchased from the Tohatsu dealer. I keep it on a battery tender and it is fully charged prior to each use.

pvanv

Admiral
Hmm. Any codes from the ECU when you go into diag mode?

mkennally

Recruit
not sure if the tach needle position matters but will include all values
Tach OIL Temp Battery
4 flashing on
4 on on
5.5 on
6 on
5.5 flashing on
6 flashing on

hope that means something to you, these do not match any in the service manual self diagnostic table.
thanks for the time you are putting into this.

mkennally

Recruit
something went wrong with the formatting when posted sorry the TEMP did not light up. All values are for oil or battery. so for the first one tach 4, oil flashing, battery on. hope that makes sense.

pvanv

Admiral
What manual are you using?
Yes, the tach readings are important. Either 4000 is the value for either low oil, lot battery, abnormally low battery, depending on serial number.
4000-flash-on = extreme undervoltage
4000-on-on = undervoltage
5500-on = overvoltage of TPS 1
6000-on = overvoltage of TPS 2
5500-flash-on = undervoltage TPS 1
6000-flash-on = undervoltage TPS 2
Check all connections, especially grounds, and test battery. Then if still having a problem, see your local dealer.