Cooling System question - Honda BF9.9 (2003)

seafriend

Recruit
Am a complete newbie to outboards so please be friendly:) My 2003 Honda BF 9.9 has TWO small cooling system ports for the "telltale". My question - Is water supposed to be coming out of BOTH of them or just 1? Have seen a few youtube videos of similar Honda outboards near the same size and they all show just 1 stream of water, not 2. Took my boat out earlier today and saw water coming out of just 1 and was wondering? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks. Todd

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: Cooling System question - Honda BF9.9 (2003)

Are both water holes near each other ? One is the water indicator (telltale) the other could be a drain hole ?

Happy Boating

seafriend

Recruit

Are both water holes near each other ? One is the water indicator (telltale) the other could be a drain hole ?

Happy Boating

Yes, they are very close to each other, and identical in appearance. I've looked at youtube videos of people flushing similar-size Honda outboards and it is the same - two holes but a single stream of "telltale" water - so I'm feeling more at ease, but would like to be sure. The manual does not say anything about there being 2 holes. Todd

dkonrai

Senior Chief Petty Officer

one is the tell tale, the other a breather hose. i just went through heck with a buddy's motor. these motors need annual impeller replacements or it will toast the housing. dont ask how i know.
dino

Last edited:

seafriend

Recruit

one is the tell tale, the other a breather hose. i just went through heck with a buddy's motor. these motors need annual impeller replacements or it will toast the housing. dont ask how i know.
dino

Thanks, Dino, appreciate it. I wasn't sure. I know how important it is that the cooling system is working properly and wanted to be sure about things. Todd