Flushing 15 HP Honda

111torrance111

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have either a 2011 or 2012 Honda 15 HO outboard motor, what is the proper flushing method?

Jerry

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: Flushing 15 HP Honda

Which procedure is stated on Owners Manual ? Could be with a flush adapter at port if happens to have one or with muffs with engine on or off ? If engine is off, thermo will not open and won't achieve a correct cylinder head flush.

Happy Boating

111torrance111

Petty Officer 1st Class

Flush adapter with motor off..

Are you saying this wont work?

Also need to know if the flush adapter is opening something, I assume it must otherwise water would flow out. Please advise.

Jerry

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Flush adapter + engine off won't do a thing, will flush all water passages except head, that's a must flush to rinse salt out. Try flushing with adapter + engine on, or same with muffs. My Evi 15 was excat same, flushed it with engine off, when cylinder head was removed months latter due to an algae overheat, tons of salt were found inside head water passages and also on thermo. Now adapter or muffs + engine on, salty problems solved.

Happy Boating

MattFL

Master Chief Petty Officer

A motor that small, just put it into a bucket full of water and run it.

111torrance111

Petty Officer 1st Class

Q 1. I personally always like to see the motor running, but why would the manufacture say not to run the engine while flushing?

Q 2. After removing the adapter after the flush what keeps the water from coming out the same hole, is it a diaphragm system that works with pressure going in and stops it from coming out?

Q 3. The manual say's to remove the gas line during flushing, anybody know why?

Q 4. If the motor is run daily in Salt Water do you still need to flush?

Thanks/Jerry

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Jerry,

Is the flush port located at lower leg or on cranckase ? Unless you have a out of this world house water pressure will need to seal lower water intakes to achieve best flushing pressure inside engine. An engine that doesn't have a thermostat doesn't need to be flushed with engine on. but a 15 sure has one.

Answering your questions:

1-Don't have a clue for that one, My ex Evi 15 owners manual recommends flushing with engine on or offf, off doesn't clean a bit head and thermo water passages, engine on does quite well.

2-Water finds its way inside cranckase water paths and head if thermo is open, then goes down the exaust to lower unit and out through prop.

3-Is for engine to drop dead with carb bowl dry. OTOH removing fuel hose from engine will give a shorter flushing time period than not doing so. Can flush all you want with hose on.

4-Should be flushed after its daily use, see it this way: If you don't flush it after each day use microscopic salt layers will inevitably be formed inside all coolong water passages, if continuing with this, will have in a long run excesively salt layers and even salt crusts throughout the whole cooling system.

Would be a real crime to do this on a brand new engine. If all water paths remains in near immaculate clean cond, internal engine heat will dissipate faster and engine cool much better than an engine that's already severely salted. If engine will ran on a daily basis and then be removed from boat, flush it.

Sometines the practice is contraty to the owners manual written theory.

Happy Boating

Last edited: