Honda BF50 5 HP (Pre 97)

Jeff3fg

Recruit
I got this old motor from my grandma and I can't get the thing to run. I cleared the old gas out of the carb, and cleaned the carb with cleaner. Everything else looked good so I tried to start it and nothing. Gave it some starting fluid and it runs for a second then dies. I took the gas feed tube off the carb and gas spurts out when I crank it. I took the carb back off and ran more carb cleaner through it and still nothing. It runs good with starting fluid, but it won't stay running. Messed with the idle screw, started at 1 turn, and went til it almost fell out and still nothing. What am I missing?

dkonrai

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Honda BF50 5 HP (Pre 97)

when you say you cleaned the carb, did you completely disassemble the carb? there are many passages that need to be cleared, im guessing its a dirty carb.
dino

Jeff3fg

Recruit
Re: Honda BF50 5 HP (Pre 97)

Yes I took it apart, ran cleaner through it, and compressed air, all the ports seem to flow fine. I'm just wondering if there is maybe a cutoff, or some weird quirk to these, I've never worked on a boat motor, but done plenty of vehicle engines.