1992 Nissan NS5B 5hp 2 stroke tiller throttle problems?

shawnMattox

Cadet
Hi guys I would like to start by saying I rebuilt the carb and water pump with no prior experience with help from archived threads on this forum.Thanks. Now i have the motor running good and shes peeing good but I believe I have an issue with the tiller throttle or throttle cable or both. The tiller throttle handle does not spring closed to throttle down, it stays open until I manually twist it back and I believe its the throttle cable or part of the handle assembly. I looked for a kit to purchase with the parts i mentioned and only find used parts on eBay. This problem is not letting the motor idle correctly and at first it would just rev up to a very high rpm while in neutral. This is my first motor and I need it to be in top shape when Im on the water because of my lack of experience. I thank you for your time and efforts in advance.

ShawnMattox:confused:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1992 Nissan NS5B 5hp 2 stroke tiller throttle problems?

That model does not springs back the throttle grip, must be done mechanically by hand. Try greasing, oiling the interior throttle cable for a smoother grip retun, you could install a small spring somewhere that springs back carb pawl to idle speed.

Assume could buy spares parts at any Nissan, Tohatsu, Merc distributer if being the same actual model currently sold.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

pvanv

Admiral

Correct. The throttle is supposed to stay where you set it.

shawnMattox

Cadet

Thanks for the input. This motor was sitting in the heat for years and the rubber spacer on the tiller handle was dried up and sticking so i cleaned and greased everything and it works good now but i have water in my lower unit oil and I already got new screw seals so that's not it. I also changed the gasket that came with the water pump kit. Not sure where to look next, but it looks like it is leaking from somewhere inside the L/U where the water pump housing is. Any input here would be appreciated.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Shift rod seal, drive shaft seal, prop shaft seal or prop shaft housing o-ring.

pvanv

Admiral

In our shop, we would reseal the LU. 369873210M LOWER UNIT GASKET SET $22.30

shawnMattox

Cadet

Thanks again for the help. I was planning on ordering the kit below but you guys sale one for half the price. what is the difference? If there isn't a difference I would like to order from your shop if possible.

Lower Unit Gasket Set For Nissan/Tohatsu, ALL, 4, 5 & 6 hp model & 4-stk 4,5 &6 hp models FREE SHIPPING - LUGS369873210M

Lower Unit Gasket Set For Nissan/Tohatsu, ALL, 4, 5 & 6 hp model & 4-stk 4,5 &6 hp models

Online Price: $44.99

This lowerunit gasket set contains the gaskets and seals you would normally use to reseal the lower unit of the Nissan/Tohatsu, 2-stroke and 4-stroke, 4, 5 & 6 hp. It contains the following parts: oil seals, o-rings and gaskets.

Size: ALL 4, 5 AND 6 HP models

Last edited:

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Some are a little more greedy than others:) The shipping is included on the internetoutboards site, but it's still around $10.00 too high. That particular company is on it's third owner in five years and I would imagine they are trying to find a new balance between volume and profit.

pvanv

Admiral

Hmm. Gotta agree with Elvin... The kit you want is:
369873210M LOWER UNIT GASKET SET $22.30 MSRP.

Freight will add some, depending on how you ship. We would probably do the USPS Small Flat Rate Box, $5.80.

shawnMattox

Cadet

Thanks again Paul, I just ordered it from your shop. Too bad you weren't in today I wanted to thank you, I could not have brought life back to this little motor without your help on this forum.