01 honda 50 low compression problem

dpeslinger

Seaman Apprentice
Hi and thanks in advance. I just bought a pontoon with a 2001 Honda bf50a. took it to mechanic to do carbs and he said the bottom carb was particularly bad. he got it running again but told me compression tests were low. top to bottom reading he said were 100, 120, 60. I ask to see the numbers and he ran test again. results were 120, 130, 80.
He said was his opinion likely it was valves, especially since the readings came up. he said run it and see what happens.
Today I put it in the water. at idle sounds and runs great. through about 80% throttle it is fine, but at the very top end runs rough. It don't act like a miss but you can plainly feel and hear it is not right. I idled down again and at low speeds is fine.
MY QUESTION, has anyone had an experience as this, Is there a way I can troubleshoot myself, will it hurt to run the engine as it is and see if it will improve, worst case if it has to be rebuilt, appx. cost??

MattFL

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 01 honda 50 low compression problem

Check the valves first, if the clearance is too tight that can reduce compression. In this case a super easy adjustment might be all that's required. Continuing to run it with overly tight valves can do damage, the hot leaking air can burn the valve and the seat.

davollman

Recruit
Re: 01 honda 50 low compression problem

I would pull spark plugs and do a leakdown test that will determine if it's valves or piston rings if its valves check gapping if it's fine you might have to pull the head to see what's going on.