2002 30 Hp Nissan 4 stroke getting gas in crankcase

Stnbenn

Recruit
I found the solution here in these forums, so decided to post my problem as well. I was having problems with hard starts, no starts, engine miss, and smokey exhaust when running, etc. After reading about the similar problems with Tohotsu and Nissan carbed motors with what some called "making oil" , I investigated the crankcase issue and found mine to be full of gas and oil to the point where the dipstick practially popped out under pressure when I pulled on it. Apparently this is a common and known problem with some models of Tohatsu, Nissan, and Honda.

It appears that the reasons for this in my cas might be a lot of idling through canals to get to larger lakes in my area, and more than likely a fuel tank that was not properly vented for my motor. About a year ago, my original 6 gallon Atwood portable fuel tank was stolen and I replaced it with a similar tank from iboats here in central Floorida. I find out now that these tanks come with a cap that is only vented while the engine is running. This is due to the recent EPA law that dis-allows automatic venting gas fumes to the atmosphere. I had never bothered with disconnecting the fuel line at the dock as my original fuel tank had a manually vent cap. The cap on the new tanks have a knurled vent screw, but only vents the tank when that knurled scree is open and depressed. At the dock the sun expands the fumes in the tank, and in my opinion, pushes raw gas past the carb floats, and finds it's way to the crankcase and on top of the pistons at times.

I did a thorough drain and flush of the engine yesterday, replaced the crankcase contaminated oil and serviced the lower unit. The engine runs smooth as a top, with no hesitation in starting or acceleration. At present I am running the cap loosened to prevent the pressure build up, until I can replace it with an original vented cap.

In my opinion, the retailers of these new tanks with non auto vented caps should certainly question the purchaser of it's use and advise them at the time of sale of the potential problems discussed here. At the very least, the manufacturer should attach a tag with a warning discussing this potential problem or a warning molded right in the tank. If I had not found the invaluable info on these forums, I may have been out several thousand dollars in repair bills from marine repair shops that may or not know of this problem. My inital assesment was that I had a head gasket problem until I determined that the contaminant was gasoline instead of water. I believe I caught my problem in time to prevent major damage to the engine. I will closely monitor the engine for any future problems of this nature.

Good luck and I hope this info is helpful to others.

Last edited:

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: 2002 30 Hp Nissan 4 stroke getting gas in crankcase

The problem is common to all four-stroke outboards regardless of brand or size and is due to the engine having a raw water cooling system. The solution is to use a non synthetic motor oil and to avoid excessive idling.

pvanv

Admiral

What Elvin said. I would go so far as to recommend using 10w-30 FCW-rated non-syn oil, and not filling above 1/2 way on the stick for new 4-stroke motors... maybe 3/4 or 7/8 for fully-broken-in motors... of all brands.

Plus... regarding the fuel tank... the OB manufacturers recommend that the fuel line of 4-stroke motors be disconnected at the end of the day. Even with an atmospheric vent, a primer bulb will pump gas due to expansion/contraction of the daily heat/cool cycles, which can damage the diaphragm of the fuel pump, as well as flooding the carb. In addition, you should run the carbs out (on carbed motors) if they will sit for more than a couple of days, to reduce varnishing.

The EPA requires Zero fume emissions, and that is why the tanks are sealed (within pressure limits). In addition to causing the tanks to expand in the sun, that puts a far greater requirement on the suction of the fuel pump. From an owner or servicer standpoint, it stinks.

FWIW, the new attwood tanks also have the EPA-type caps... but they don't even have any screw vent -- they are fully automatic.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

What about drilling a tiny diam direct vent hole on cap, used to have a Evi red tank that used to fat worst than a pig when exposed to direct sun, ended boating with cap slight seated for air to enter and avoid tank fattening. All these environmental issues really stinks...

Happy Boatting

Stnbenn

Recruit

Thanks for the input. I was just down at the boat, and looking at the cap I may just put a little groove on the rubber gasket to vent. Don't tell on me though......Stan in Lake Placid, Fl. where the gals all wear grass skirts and coconut shell attire and the men wear open heart surgical scars and droopy pants....

pvanv

Admiral

If all else is OK, the EPA cap will work fine. Try to keep the tank out of direct hot sun. Always disconnect the fuel line at the end of the day and allow the carb to run out.

Stnbenn

Recruit

I thank you all for the great information. I have been disconnecting the fuel line at the motor and everything seems to be fine....Stan in Lake Placid, Fl.