Honda BF8A Carb removal & Set screw adjustment

lrabun

Cadet
Outboard won't idle correctly, dang it. At first motor would not idle unless choke was pulled. I adjusted the set screw and motor idled just fine, for the day anyway. Next time I took it out same issue, won't ideal. I played with the set screw and the motor either idle way too fast or not enough to keep motor running in neutral . I would like to remove the carb and give it a cleaning but getting to the inside bolt in the carb/air intake #17 in this diagram ( http://www.**********/parts/search/...07 and Later/BF8AK0 LA /CARBURETOR/parts.html ) Has proven difficult.

I have removed the brass jet screw and the jets looks spick & span, I even ran a nylon poker through the bottom hole.

These are my questions:

1. Do I have to remove the Cam Pulley Assembly to get to that inside carb bolt #17bolt? If so how difficult is that?

2. I've read that the correct setting for the Set Screw in the Honda manual os 2 1/2. Can someone better explain that. 2 1/2 turn from where. guess I need a starting point. Is it from where the end of the bolt is flush with the pivot arm it's threaded into?

Thanks a ton in advance1

Luke

lrabun

Cadet
Re: Honda BF8A Carb removal & Set screw adjustment

I removed the carb successfully, please disregard that part of post.

isaksp00

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Honda BF8A Carb removal & Set screw adjustment

Make sure the idle jet that screws in to the top of the carb is clean. Mine clogs easily and causes those symptoms. They almost always clear up if I pull it out and clean it.