5hp Nissan 2 stroke Stuck in forward gear

pharris8

Recruit
Hello,
I have a 5hp Nissan 1985 model. The model number is NS5B. The motor is stuck in forward gear and will not budge. I can use a hammer to tap the shifter into neutral but as soon as I release pressure it kicks back into forward.

I have taken out the two bolts connecting the foot of the motor. This allows for about a 3 inch gap between the foot and the motor. When I move the shifter from Forward to Neutral to Reverse the foot moves up. ( This information is probably useless)

Is something obstructing the motor from going into gear at the foot? It seams that everything is working as it should on the top end.

Thanks for the website and great advice!!!

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: 5hp Nissan 2 stroke Stuck in forward gear

You have to take the lower unit apart to find out why it is binding.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: 5hp Nissan 2 stroke Stuck in forward gear

Is that a used or new engine, if used, you bough it already with gear issues ? If so, probably there's a bad synchro between lower cam rod and upper shift rod. Bolt back LU, at middle leg there's a round big grommet lid, remove it. Free middle screw that secures both rods to a square metal joint, this will loosen both rods. Place upper rod in neutral, place lower gear shift rod in neutral too, prop should spin freely with hand. Joint should rest against lower end portion of upper shift rod, adjust joint screw tigh. Check if gears freely through forward, neutral, reverse.

Happy Boating

Last edited: