Tohatsu / Nissan / Outboard Grease Thread:

TwoRivers

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello to all. Not trying to start another "what's the best outboard oil" thread but I need some recommendations.
Once, I watched an outboard mechanic replace a power head and an impeller on one of my outboards. He was meticulous and seemed to use an assortment of lubricants (grease) on the different parts.
Currently, I'm working on the lower unit of my Nissan 25hp two stroke.
The Tohatsu manual repeatedly refers to "genuine grease".
What's that? Is there an over the counter equivalent?
I've had good success using a synthetic automotive brake caliper grease in a number of applications like lubing my steering cable.
I also have a can of walmart high temp wheel bearing grease and my grease gun is filled with general purpose marine grease.
Any suggestions for what I can use and what I need to purchase.
Thanks to all.
Got to hurry because Spring is on it's way.
Rob

pvanv

Admiral
Re: Tohatsu / Nissan / Outboard Grease Thread:

Rob,

Any #2 EP waterproof grease if OK for sliding parts of the OB that take grease. "Marine" grease is fine.
Any Hypoid SAE 80-90 gear lube is OK to the gear case. Just be sure to avoid the Type C lubes that are intended for the old electric-shift OMC motors.
Any TCW-3 2-stroke oil is fine for the 50:1 fuel mix.
Do not lubricate the wp impeller with petroleum at all. You can use a little dish soap water in the cup, if you want the impeller to assemble a little easier.

Synthetics are fine, but not required. The exception to that is... you never want to use synthetic crankcase oil in a 4-stroke OB.

TwoRivers

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Paul,
What about lubing the O-Rings and seals?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Rob,

If service manual does not indicate so, stay away from lubbing them, oil/grease could damage (dry/expand whatever) lip rubber portion if being a seal and not seal whatever was intended to seal properly.

Happy Boating

Last edited: