18HP Tohatsu electric starter issue

My Caribe has a 2004 18HP Tohatsu 4 stroke model number MFS18B2. recently my electric start stopped working. I have installed a new battery and put new ends on my cables. there was some corrosion on the cables at the starter solenoid so I cleaned them and put them back on. I have 12 Volts at the starter solenoid and jumped the solenoid with a screw driver but nothing happened. the motor starts fine with the pull rope but I want it to start with the electric starter. any advice on what to check? could the solenoid be bad? everything under the hood looks great and there's no corrosion on the starter itself...

Thx, Michael

Last edited:

pvanv

Admiral
Re: 18HP Tohatsu electric starter issue

If the starter and solenoid are wired properly, and connected to the battery, and if you jumpered the high-current wires at the solenoid (in other words, if you have applied 12v to the starter) and it does not turn, the issue is with the starter motor. If so, individual internal parts for the starter motor are available.

Hi Paul,

I took my flywheel cover off and when I turn the key the bendix of the starter engages the flywheel but does turn... could it be a bad cable? the starter looks clean and corrosion free. anyway to test starter before I buy a new one???
thx, MB

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Electric start engines have electric chokes, check if working properly when turning key, probably needs some oil drops on all sliding points to work as intended.

Happy Boating

TwoRivers

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Paul,

I took my flywheel cover off and when I turn the key the bendix of the starter engages the flywheel but does turn... could it be a bad cable? the starter looks clean and corrosion free. anyway to test starter before I buy a new one???
thx, MB

Check to see if you have proper voltage to the starter when you turn the key. If you have proper voltage the problem is in the starter.

pvanv

Admiral

Check to see if you have proper voltage to the starter when you turn the key. If you have proper voltage the problem is in the starter.

Yep. If the battery is low, or there is a problem with a cable, you will get some voltage at the starter, but not necessarily enough to get it to turn. You would like to see full battery voltage at the starter while cranking. IF the battery is good, and you have low volts at the starter when cranking, you may be able to troubleshoot by checling cranking voltage at the solenoid and at the battery cable. Of course, it is also possible (but rare) that you have a poor contact internal to the solenoid. If you crank, and have full voltage going into the solenoid, but low voltage going out, the solenoid and/or the cable connections at it are suspect.