09 nissan 9.8 lower unit swap

humboldtbrad

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a xl shaft and I sold the boat it was the kicker on so I want to change it to a short shaft for my valco.
my question is what year lower units would work on my outboard I would buy a new one but I can't find any.
also if someone has one I would be interested In buying it
thanks
Brad

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: 09 nissan 9.8 lower unit swap

Leg convertions are costly, need several parts to work as factory delivered. Have you tried the XL on the short shaft Valco. The only down issue would be water splashes at back transom, but that can be corrected by placing a water deflector at the tail height where water flow hits rear of tail. You will probably look as if you were driving a jet ski than a rib...

Happy Boating

humboldtbrad

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm not sure I understand the jet ski to rib thing but I've heard that it won't plane and there is a lot of shallow water rivers and such do you think building up the transom is a better option?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

We're optimizing long shaft engines installations to short shaft transoms, rib/boat perfectly planes. Have not tried a XL shaft on a short transom yet. Being longer will surely be counter productive when boating at shallow waters. Try to find a XL mount or a high jacker, the ones that are attached at back transom to match. A good last alternative would be to raise transom accordingly, the 9.8 is light. All 3 options are much cheapper than buiying a new lower unit including it's related longer parts.

Happy Boating

pvanv

Admiral

The NSF9.8A3UL is based on the L engine's midsection, and then has a 5" spacer. It also has the UL driveshaft and water tube. Conversion would involve the exhaust housing (midsection) as well as all the other parts. Converting transom height up 10 inches is probably impractical. Better off by far to sell the current motor (maybe for a sail installation) and buy a short model.