Setting Throttle on 8 HP Tohatsu Kicker

hydrojohn

Cadet
Looking to buy a kicker motor (8 HP) and am giving serious consideration to the Tohatsu. From what I have read they seem to be an OK motor and they fit my budget. However I know very little about small outboards. I have the steering figured out I think. Plan to tie the kicker to my big outboard with a connector bar. Probably will get the electric start as I have a bad back and the thought of bending over and pulling a rope while twisted sounds like a no-no. Any comments about what I have said so far would be of interest. My primary question is the throttle setting. Like I said I know very little about small outboards. I am assuming you can set the rpm/throttle and lock it so that you can then operate from the forward half of the boat. Am I correct? Would the throttle lock be in the handle? Seems like I recall from limited experience years ago the throttle operates by twisting the handle and if you let it go it slows down. Please help educate me.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: Setting Throttle on 8 HP Tohatsu Kicker

That model should have a friction system that adjust throttle by simply rotating a adjustment screw located on middle handle. Just throttlle to desire speed and adjust screw. Voila!!

Happy Boating

rolmops

Vice Admiral

It makes way more sense to buy the remote control hardware.

pvanv

Admiral

It makes way more sense to buy the remote control hardware.
Yep. And get the 9.8 in preference to the 8. Same motor frame/block, bigger carb, just a few $$ more. The 8 is only available in electric in some models. The 9.8 can be had in electric/remote in all models.