tohatsu 25 hp

fannettx

Cadet
Is it true that Tohatsu impellors need changing frequently?

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: tohatsu 25 hp

Welcome to Iboats,

Who told you that lie ? Tohatsu impellers will outlast and other brand impellers on the market, due to being made with elastomers not plain rubber as found in all other brands. At a unavailable stock, you can flip them if in need.

Happy Boating

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

The average impeller will last over 500 hours of normal operation or 5 years. Whichever comes first. However, environmental conditions can shorten that. IE Running an engine in sand or running the engine dry will shorten the service life quite a bit. I don't see any difference in how long the impellers will last in different Japanese engines, but, historically US outboard impellers don't last as long...Except the US engines that are actually made in Japan:)

fannettx

Cadet

I had read it on the web, goes to show I can't trust everything I read. It's satisfying to read your info on the impellors, thanks
Welcome to Iboats,

Who told you that lie ? Tohatsu impellers will outlast and other brand impellers on the market, due to being made with elastomers not plain rubber as found in all other brands. At a unavailable stock, you can flip them if in need.

Happy Boating

fannettx

Cadet

Thanks for the info
The average impeller will last over 500 hours of normal operation or 5 years. Whichever comes first. However, environmental conditions can shorten that. IE Running an engine in sand or running the engine dry will shorten the service life quite a bit. I don't see any difference in how long the impellers will last in different Japanese engines, but, historically US outboard impellers don't last as long...Except the US engines that are actually made in Japan:)

fannettx

Cadet

Picked up my new boat and as I read the manual, it asked that the impeller be changed yearly, just passing along info about '14 tohatsu 25 hp 4 str

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

The owner's manual tries to take into account that people would never change anything if it wasn't in print:)

pvanv

Admiral

Yep. In the cold clear fresh water of the Great Lakes, we go 3 years or more, unless run in sand. But we still "recommend" annually for any OB brand, as all manuals call for that.