Honda 8 HP burning Oil

razor07

Recruit
I have a 1988 Honda 8hp that sat on the back of a sailboat for 12 years unused. After I cleaned the wasp nest out of it, changed the fluids and rebuilt the carb it started right up. It idles perfectly, but when I increase the throttle it has blue smoke pouring out of the exhaust. Compression was slightly lower in the #2 cylinder but still with in specs. I have to refill the oil reservoir after 2 outings because it is very low. When I take off the valve cover there is oil covering everything. Should I replace the piston rings or is there another way oil could be getting in there. Thank you for your replies.

Packard8

Seaman
Re: Honda 8 HP burning Oil

Could be a stuck ring(s). Before tearing it down try this: take the motor off and support it with the spark plugs pointing straight up. Remove the plugs and pour about 4-5 oz of Marvel Mystery Oil or other penetrant in the cylinders and let it sit for a day or two, turning it over manually every few hours. Drain the cylinders and crankcase, refill with fresh oil and run it hard (WOT). If you are lucky, the rings might work free (if that is the problem).

Good luck!