2006 Tohatsu 5 hp - fuel bubbling out top of carburetor

TomRay

Seaman
I have a 2006 Tohatsu 5 hp that came with a small sailboat that was given to me. It appears to have very low hours and is almost free of corrosion. I know it has sat around for at least the last couple of years, and probably some time before that.

I checked the oil and it was a bit low so I added some.

In an abundance of optimism, I connected it to the tank from another 2006 Tohatsu 5 I own. Much to my surprise, it roared to life! There was a lot of smoke/steam at first, as if at some point oil got to a place it should not have been and was being burned off.

I had the cowling off and immediately noticed quite a bit of fuel bubbling out of two holes in the top of the carburetor. I shut the engine down.

To get a better look at where the fuel was coming from, I started it up again. Yep, lots of fuel coming out. Shut down again.

I tried to start it one more time, but now it does not want to start. Might be flooded.

Has anyone seen this before?

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Re: 2006 Tohatsu 5 hp - fuel bubbling out top of carburetor

Time for a carburetor rebuild. Sounds like a stuck float. Drain all the fluids and replace them as well. Oil oxidizes and creates acid over time. Not safe to use old stuff, especially in an aluminum motor.

Rick

pvanv

Admiral

Yep. Needle is not seating. Get 3H6871220M CARBURETOR REPAIR KIT MFS4/5/6A-A2/B, $30.42 from any dealer. Remove, disassemble, and clean carb in real carb dip, then reassemble witr the new kit. Change fluids. Consider a new 369873221M WATER PUMP REPAIR KIT, $46.59.

TomRay

Seaman

Thanks, Rick and Paul.

My "git 'er done" neighbor had the same diagnosis and recommended tapping on the carb until it frees up. He's a good guy, but I'm not from the "repair carbs with a hammer" school.

I was given this engine with a small sailboat that I intend to sell once everything is working. I only ran it briefly and was focused on the fuel coming out the top, so I didn't even notice if it was pumping water. If it pumps water, I'm not changing the impeller. I will warn the buyer that it is most likely original. My other (identical) engine still has its original water pump. It's old enough to make me nervous, not quite old enough to make me change it!

Rick Stephens

Admiral

Too easy to rebuild. And makes it run like a clock for when you demo it. Good luck!

Rick

TomRay

Seaman

I have never pulled the carb from one of these. It looks easy. Is there anything non-obvious that I should know?

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

It's as simple as it looks. Just follow Paul's advice about the carburetor dip.

pvanv

Admiral

There's very tight clearance when accessing the inner carb bolt. You will need either a 12-point 10mm box wrench to access the inner carb bolt, or you will want to pull the recoil starter first.

TomRay

Seaman

Does carb dip go bad? I have a can in my shed, but I'm pretty sure it's a late 20th century can.

pvanv

Admiral

If it was well-sealed, it may be OK. If it got moisture contamination, it's likely milky and bad.