Does it matter fuel hose diameter on Honda 5 H.P?

robertjp

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I need to get a new fuel hose for my 1998 Honda 5 HP kicker. Would the hose diameter matter a whole lot. I believe Honda uses a 6 mm hose but I cant find it locally. Can I just get a generic 3/8" hose assembly and use the honda fittings? Would it affect the way the motor runs any? Thanks

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: Does it matter fuel hose diameter on Honda 5 H.P?

Is 3/8" close to 6 mm ? Probably would be affected if having less interior hose diameter than original hose, will slow fuel pump fuel delivery to carb at wot.-

Happy Boating

Last edited:

hall832

Petty Officer 1st Class

You should be 1/4" fuel hose, make sure its the inside diameter. The SAE measurement for 6 mm is 1/4".

robertjp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The honda dealer is telling me Honda uses 5.5 mm fuel hose. Seems small, can anyone confirm? Thats less than 1/4. The Honda rep told me he thought it was 7 mm but wasnt sure.

Called Honda again and they looked it up and it is 7 mm. Now the hard part, finding it.

Last edited:

MattFL

Master Chief Petty Officer

That motor uses so little fuel even at wide open that 1/4 or 3/8 should be more than plenty.

hall832

Petty Officer 1st Class

You can go 5/16" fuel line or order 7 mm from a Honda Dealer.

Packard8

Seaman

I need to get a new fuel hose for my 1998 Honda 5 HP kicker. Would the hose diameter matter a whole lot. I believe Honda uses a 6 mm hose but I cant find it locally. Can I just get a generic 3/8" hose assembly and use the honda fittings? Would it affect the way the motor runs any? Thanks

You can buy bulk 1/4 or 5/16 fuel hose at NAPA, etc and reuse your fittings. Just make sure it is current fuel hose rated for ethanol blend fuel.

robertjp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

5/16 was too big for the fitting so I had to get 1/4 inboard hose.