Oil Change for little used Honda outboard

DavidPJ

Seaman Apprentice
Our 200 HP Honda outboard had little use this year. I had the lower unit and engine oil changed late last fall. We used only about 1 tank of gas since then for about 50 gallons this season. I'm estimating this is approximately 8-10 hours of usage.

With that little use, I'm considering skipping oil changes this fall and waiting until next fall to change all the oil. The boat is on a lift all year long. We live in NC and we'll use the boat a few times over the winter.

It just seems like such a waste to change engine and lower unit oil with so few hours on it. What do you think?

Thanks.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: Oil Change for little used Honda outboard

You should change due to the chance of condensation.

hall832

Petty Officer 1st Class

I personally would not. As long as the oil is in good condition the small amount of condensation will burn off quickly. If the motor has not had the hours put on it, its likely your oil is good. On the other hand it is called the annual/100 hour service. I do change all my fluids every 100.hours religiously, i do how ever change my impellers once a year whether or not i have 100 or 2 hours on the motor(time and weather are as much of a factor as usage). very inexpensive way to prolong the life of your motor. check your F/W separator also. In the end its your call. If you have any doubt do your oil change.

rocket rich

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oil is cheap compared to engine replacement or a lot of moisture PROBLEMS. CHANGE IT $50 FOR MATERIALS

Last edited:

DavidPJ

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks everyone. If I could change the oil myself I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to change it annually. However, I have to pay to have the boat picked up, trailered, fluids changed, and then returned to me. So a simple oil change gets more expensive. However, it's still cheap compared to engine damage. As for the impeller, it and the water pump was replaced early this year.

rocket rich

Petty Officer 1st Class

ya ,that's a bummer....

MattFL

Master Chief Petty Officer

Get in touch with blackstone oil testing labs, I am sure they have a web site. Send them an oil sample and they will tell you its condition. The cost is $25 and they will give you all sorts of data on the oil and tell you if it's still good.

Last edited: