cheap way to convert tiller throttle to remote on 9.8 tohatsu four-stroke

bonzronz

Recruit
Hi Everybody. The grandkids moved away and I'm bribing them to come visit by building a 15 ft cruiser from plans online . I thought the building of the boat was tough but it's nearly done. I have a 2006 Tohatsu 9.8 outboard with a tiller. I'm doing a Teleflex Quick Connect for the steering, but am astounded what the throttle conversion kit from Tohatsu costs. Is there a cheaper, easier way? I am no mechanical genius, but am a fast learner. I understand my moter is small, but it's what I have. Thanks! Bonz

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: cheap way to convert tiller throttle to remote on 9.8 tohatsu four-stroke

No, there is only the factory way unless you have access to your own machine shop and fabricate your own pieces.

bonzronz

Recruit

Thanks, Tohatsu Guru. It's starting to look like the building of the boat was the easy part. Since I really need a bigger motor, I guess I should trade up to one that is remote-ready.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

As horrible as it sounds, you are probably right. Low cost transformer parts are relegated to the Mercury and Evinrude models of yore:)

pvanv

Admiral

Indeed. In most cases, a conversion of shaft length or control style is more expensive than swapping motors for the appropriate model. Of course, if you can find a blown-up donor motor, the parts would be less expensive...