Nissan 9.8. 4 stroke electric starter issue

Donarichards

Recruit
Hi. First time visitor. I have a 2006 nissan 9.8 4 stroke with the usual carb/varnish yearly problem. Cleaned the carb out (soak) last year and my idle problem is creeping back... But my question is with my electric start motor. For a month or two when I pressed the start button, sometimes I would get nothing. No click, no cranking, nothing. I would press the switch a couple more times then it would start fine. Then that was it - last time nothing, and no amount of switch pushing got me anywhere. So I got my volt meter and wiring diagram and started checking. I had voltage to the engine, I thought maybe the switch was going bad, but tested continuity and it checked out- open when not pressed, continuity when I pressed it. Tested for continuity through the neutral switch that seemed ok. Finally came to the fuse in the yellow housing. Fuse was blown, so I figured, great- easy fix. Pulled the fuse and when I pushed in the spare it popped immediately. Weird. I wasn't pushing the starter button and didn't have the volt meter attached or anything. Started thinking maybe the starter motor is shorted out, but when I look at the wiring diagram for the starter circuit I don't think this is necessarily true since the starter doesn't see voltage until you press the starter switch... Any suggestions??? Thanks for your time.

Last edited:

pvanv

Admiral
Re: Nissan 9.8. 4 stroke electric starter issue

The intermittent start problem may not be related to the fuse popping. Most intermittent electric start issues are either an out-of-adjustment safety switch, or a failing switch (either the main start button, or the neutral safety switch.

The fuse allows power to flow from the rectifier (in addition to providing power to the main start switch), so if you have a shorted diode there (or a wire that is touching ground), you could pop the fuse. The fuse should be a 20-amp model. Use your good analog ohm meter to see if there is a short to ground on the rectifier-side of the fuse. Also, if you connect the battery backwards, the fuse will pop.

Donarichards

Recruit
Re: Nissan 9.8. 4 stroke electric starter issue

Ok thanks good to know. I will do some more troubleshooting over the winter. For now looks like I will just continue to use the pull starter

Thanks again