50hp honda outboard idling high and oil

Michaelspurlock

Recruit
Hello I'm new to boating just bought my first one 2 days ago. It has a 2001 Honda 50hp outboard on it. I have a couple questions. First off when it is idling not in gear just in neutral it is idling at about 1000rpms which seems high? Is this normal? When I put it in gear it drop down considerably which I know is to be expected by that just seems like a high idle to me. Also the owners manual suggests that I run honda brand 5w30 oil in it but the guy who had it before said he thinks the marina he had it serviced at was putting 10w30 in it. Should I switch to 5w30? Also is there any good substitute for the honda brand oils that y'all could recommend? Thank a lot.

MattFL

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 50hp honda outboard idling high and oil

I have the 1999 model year of the same motor that I bought new back in 1999. Check the owners manual for the idle speed, by memory I think it's somewhere around 800rpm.

I've been using 5-30 Mobil 1 synthetic in my motor since new and it's holding up great. It gets year round use with lots of cruising in the 5000-5500 rpm range. 10-30 is probably OK, check the manual, but I know it says 5-30 is preferred on the side of the motor itself. I learned not to ask the local mechanics for any info. I took my motor in for service and the guy asked what oil I was using. I told him and he said it was too thin and Honda didn't recommend oil that thin. We discussed it for a minute then I showed him the sticker on the motor itself that said 5-30 preferred and he said "oh" and that was the end of the discussion. I am sure there are some great marine mechanics somewhere and if you find one keep track of him, but of the 3 different ones I have used in my area, in every case I either had to return multiple times to get the repair done correctly or I've just given up and finished the repair properly myself. Anyway, 5-30 synthetic oil has served me well and check the manual for the idle speed. If your idle is rough, sync the crabs. That makes a big difference in the quality of the idle. Let the motor sit for a few days before you change the oil filter and barely a drop of oil will spill out of the filter. It's a great motor, good luck!