40 hp honda cracked block

bobs.delima

Recruit
I have a 1999 40 hp Honda outboard. My neighbor's boy started the motor on dry land and ran it til it stopped. $450 for water impeller, then $400 replacing head gasket and then another $550 milling heads and replacing head gasket again and still water in oil. Losing confidence in the mechanic, I took to Honda dealer and he says most likely a cracked block. What to do? $1,500 in a well used motor that already blew a head gasket 7/8 years ago and cost $750. Should I "bite the bullet" and "deep 6" the thing or try to goop it with filler or something and run it till it finally croaks. New block is about $3,000. I'm so discouraged. The first mechanic won't warrant anything but parts and says i'ts my problem that I didn't have him check out the block in the first place. I'm extremely troubled, not a mechanic and need advice.

MattFL

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 40 hp honda cracked block

IMHO cut your losses and get a new motor. It is nearly impossible to find a good mechanic, at least in my area.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

That engine is worth no more than $1500.00 in good running condition so...

matt167

Captain

You can get a new motor for not much more than what that one is going to cost you.. New honda 40hp is only $5k give or take. However, I would get the new motor from a different dealer. If your not stuck on Honda, other brands of 4 stroke in that HP can be had for less

Packard8

Seaman

I agree with the above, cut your losses and get a new or newer motor.

I'm assuming the neighbor's kid did this without your permission? What does the neighbor say about his responsibility for the damage?

If he won't man up and pay for his kid's actions I'd consider a small claims suit, or perhaps contact your homeowner insurance agent and see if you are covered for vandalism.

Good luck