Necessary to remove powerhead to replace head gasket on Nissan 30 2 stroke?

tohatsu9.9guy

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1995 Nissan 30 HP, and it looks like somebody in the past has had the cylinder head off and reused the old gasket and put a little red rtv around it. I know this is not good practice, and want to correct it. I have the gasket, but when I went to replace it, it appeared that the powerhead would need to come off to gain clearance to the two bottom cylinder head bolts. Is this correct? Please say it ain't so! I'm not wanting to buy a base gasket, too. :facepalm:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: Necessary to remove powerhead to replace head gasket on Nissan 30 2 stroke?

Definitely YES, unless having the right tools to adjust lower head bolts that are a real PITA, other PITA is to torque new gasket with a torque wrench that matches lower bolts.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

No, you do not need to.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Providing you don't have the right tools, if you can torque to 30 NM using just bare fingers go for it....

Happy Boating

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

If you do not have the right tools you should not attempt doing a repair or you can remove the lower motor cover support bracket...If you know anything about outboard repair.

tohatsu9.9guy

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the replies. I went ahead and removed the powerhead, even though that meant having to eat the cost of a new base gasket. I like having more room to work. It will also allow me to clean the powerhead and base, and do some wiring with greater ease, and let me get my torque wrench to the bolts easier. I'm not new to outboard repair, but I don't have all of the very best tools for the job, i'm sure. I've swapped powerheads, parted out, and built some 9.9, 15, 18 nissan/tohatsus before, but never tried to replace a cyl head gasket w/ the powerhead installed. Was hoping it was easy to access. I have the old gasket material cleaned up, and am waiting on the base gasket. Thanks again for the advice.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

That's the way to go. No short cutts on this one if you want correct the work done including overall extra neat maintenance too. Clean inmaculate both crankcase's and head mating surfaces for a perfect seal, once works is done and before sitting block back, with a small brush, re paint new gasket contour with several enamel paint coats as sometimes this area has already peeled original paint from use, let dry well.

PD: Must apply a thin coat of silicone Mega Grey or equivalent product to both lower gasket's t sides to avoid water loss on engine pan. Torque tight all lower bolts.

Happy Boating

Last edited: