Tohatsu 3.5HP 4 Stroke (year 2008) starts in FWD gear..? And oil in lower unit.

Manoj77

Cadet
My Tohatsu 3.5HP 4 Stroke (year 2008) starts in FWD gear. It is my understanding that these engines will only start in neutral. Should I be concerned?

My mechanic also told me I have water in the lower part of the unit but he didnt say what was causing this. His estimate to research and fix potential issues was what the engine was worth it seems, so I would like to try to fix it myself. Im guessing that the oil seals in the prop housing need replacing. Any other suggestions?
Thanks!

MattFL

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Tohatsu 3.5HP 4 Stroke (year 2008) starts in FWD gear..? And oil in lower unit.

There is also a seal where the main shaft goes into the gear case, under the water pump somewhere. Probably one for the shift shaft too. Might as well replace those while you're at it.

pvanv

Admiral

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: Tohatsu 3.5HP 4 Stroke (year 2008) starts in FWD gear..? And oil in lower unit.

If you have the A model, doesn't have a lever, always starts in gear, the B model has neutral and forward, besides starting at neutral, can be started while at forward too.

Happy Boating

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Like Paul said, it's normal to start in gear...Regardless of what your owners manual may say. Periodically the owners manuals had a misprint that it had to be in neutral to start.