Tohatsu 6HP 4 Stroke (year 2011) won't always stay in reverse.

Manoj77

Cadet
My Tohatsu 6HP 4 Stroke (year 2011) won't always stay in reverse. This only happens when the motor is under a load - it doesn't happen when I run it in a bucket. It happens only sometimes so it hasn't been a real concern for me but I know it isn't normal. When it happens I just put it back into reverse and after a couple of 'popping-back-to-neutrals' it will finally stay in reverse. Any suggestions please?
In retrospect this doesn't happen when I use the motor at sea level altitudes. Ive only noticed it when I am at higher (3600 foot) altitudes...not sure if that is related to the issue or not?

pvanv

Admiral
Re: Tohatsu 6HP 4 Stroke (year 2011) won't always stay in reverse.

Is the brass shift rod coupler adjusted so that Reverse is 100% engaged? The cam must be ALL the way down in R. To check, shift to R (you may need to rotate the prop by hand to get the clutch to engage R if the motor is not running), remove the rubber grommet plug in the leg, and loosen the coupler about 1/2 turn, unlocking it. Then use a large screwdriver to force the cam rod (accessible at the reverse lock up near the top of the leg) all the way down, and verify that the shift handle is barely in the R detent, then lock the coupler. Only 1/16 of an inch can make all the difference. Then verify that N and F engage properly. In a case of a worn LU, you may need to actually put the LU all the way in R, and then ease the shift handle slightly back towards N before locking the coupler. If so, just be sure the F still engages properly.