1998 Nissan NS25C3 oil seal and no reverse

mgriff64

Recruit
Hi,
I am replacing a leaking and destroyed oil seal on my 1998 Nissan 25hp 2-stroke: the kit arrived with two seals, both the same prop diameter but one seal slightly larger. I tried the smaller one because the prop nut would not go all the way back on with the larger: neither seal fits very tightly and they only stop oil when the prop is on tight. Is the thrust washer the only thing holding the seal in? Do I have to run the prop to get the seal to tighten up? Lastly, I pulled the whole prop shaft, gears, and bearings out (all looks clean) but when I put it back in, there was no reverse. How do I bring reverse back?
Thanks

pvanv

Admiral
Re: 1998 Nissan NS25C3 oil seal and no reverse

Sounds like you have 2 separate problems.

The correct LU seal kit (346873216M LOWER UNIT GASKET SET) includes o-rings for the inside and outside of the cam rod bushing, an o-ring for the lower pump housing, an o-ring for the prop shaft housing, gaskets for the pump housing, and 2 seals: one for the drive shaft, and another for the prop shaft. The seals are supposed to be a press fit.

The forward end of the prop shaft is hollow, and should have the push rod, steel ball, and a "spring holder". You probably dropped one of those pieces.

mgriff64

Recruit
Re: 1998 Nissan NS25C3 oil seal and no reverse

It turns out that part of the old seal was still in there but it looked like part of the housing. I chiseled it out and the seal fit fine. As far as the reverse, I think my incorrect placement of the seal worked as a shim and disappeared reverse. Thanks.