Honda 130 intermittent alarm and more

Sea_Slueth

Cadet
Honda 130 intermittent alarm

2002 Honda 130 engine

I have twin engines. The port engine was running fine last Wednesday, ran for an hour on Thursday and shut it off for an hour. Went to restart and got an engine alarm on the port engine. The alarm is intermittent, on for one second and off for one second. We trouble shot it for several hours and decided to look at it the following day.

On Friday, went to the boat, started it up and drove it at 4500 rpms for 5 minutes and the same alarm sounded. Pulled the boat and brought it to my house. Once home, the alarm still sounds intermittently when the ignition switch is ON and the engine is off.

I have a shop manual and have trouble shot everything but can?t come up with the fault.

Here is what I have done.

Turn key to ON position and I get the normal two buzzers and both the green and red light comes on. Once I start the engine the green light remains ON and the red (MIL) light stays off.

Referring to my shop manual for Intermittent sounds Page 5-38 the flow chart has me checking

the alternator belt not loose or worn,

90a fuse-fine,

90a fuse cable and 4P connection-fine,

battery voltage-not above 16 or below 10 when engine off, running it was at 14.6

All was well and it referred me to inspect the alternator.

Having twin engines I switched alternators.

I put the known to be good alternator from the starboard engine on the port (problem alarm) engine.
Started the engine and the alarm sounded. Turned it off and turned the key to the ON position and problem continued.

I then became suspect of the buzzer and went to the ignition controls and switched them and the problem remained on the port engine ruling out the ignition switches.

I then moved about a foot down the line from the ignition switches and placed the good engine wire harness and connected it to the port/problem ignition switch and no alarm sounded.

I then took the port/problem engine wires and connected them to the starboard ignition key and when activated the starboard alarm sounded which indicated the problem was in the engine. I then put everything back together under the dash.

I then used the flow chart for the buzzer and alarm and looked at all of the connections. They all appear fine.

The oil pressure sensor is working as I conducted a continuity test.

I took the overheat sensor from the starboard engine and put it in the port.

I installed a new thermostat.

I went to a Honda dealer and they no longer have a marine mechanic.

He directed me to try the intake sensor and switch those (I will Saturday).

He asked about the voltage and I told him the alternators were charging in the 14 volt range.

He suggested I start the problem engine, run it at 2500 rpm and see if it is charging.

I did that and the volts were at 12.5 running, 12.7 with the engines off.

This would lead me to believe it is the alternator, the only problem is that alternator came from the starboard good engine.

I then started the starboard engine and am now getting an intermittent alarm on that engine and the voltage was 12.5, 12.7 when off. Two engines, two batteries, two switches set to ALL.

For both engines I turned one switch off and the other in position one and then started each engine separately. The starboard while running had 12.5 volts and the port while running had 12.7.

The only difference in alarms are as follows.

The original port/problem engine?s intermittent alarm would sound if the key is ON as well as when running.

The starboard side will be intermittent only when running.

The lights on the starboard engine are both green and red and come on (for 2 seconds) when the ignition key is turned to on. Once the engine starts, the green light stays on and the red goes out. When the alarm sounds, the battery light on the dash remains on. There are no blinking lights.

The Port/original problem engine is as follows.
Turn key to ON position and receive the normal two alarms in two seconds and the red and green light comes on. The red light will go out, but the green light remains on. About one second later the intermittent alarm sounds on one second, off one second. Once started, there is no change in the lights as green remains on and red is out. ALarm sounds on one second, off one second.

The MIL does not activate.

We have also swapped out the ECM with the starboard and that is not an issue.

When this problem first started the other day we checked the alternator and both were charging. Now that I have switched the alternators both engines appear not to be charging. The volt readings were taken on the terminals of the batteries.

Saturday I plan on putting the alternators back where they started.
Taking volt readings on the starters of each engine to make sure the dual battery set up isn?t causing a false reading.

The manual indicates the ECM stores MIL codes and needs to be reset. There are no MIL codes so does anyone know if the port/original problem engine stores an audible code. Which would explain why the starboard alternator moved to the port/problem engine alarm still sounded?

Thoughts?

This is not an overheat issue as the engines were started cold.

I just remembered this.
We took the problem alternator and put t on the starboard side and hooked uo the battery cables to see if that was the problem.
The problem did not recreate so I said screw it, leave that one there and just put the starboard alternator in the port engine. While doing so, Jake (my son) got a big arc at the alternator because I forgot to disconnect the battery cable.
Think I fried both and that is now the reason for the alternator not charging? If so, what was the cause of the first issue. The alarm?

Sea_Slueth

Cadet
Re: Honda 130 intermittent alarm and more

Honda 130 intermittent alarm

2002 Honda 130 engine

I have twin engines. The port engine was running fine last Wednesday, ran for an hour on Thursday and shut it off for an hour. Went to restart and got an engine alarm on the port engine. The alarm is intermittent, on for one second and off for one second. We trouble shot it for several hours and decided to look at it the following day.

On Friday, went to the boat, started it up and drove it at 4500 rpms for 5 minutes and the same alarm sounded. Pulled the boat and brought it to my house. Once home, the alarm still sounds intermittently when the ignition switch is ON and the engine is off.

I have a shop manual and have trouble shot everything but can?t come up with the fault.

Here is what I have done.

Turn key to ON position and I get the normal two buzzers and both the green and red light comes on. Once I start the engine the green light remains ON and the red (MIL) light stays off.

Referring to my shop manual for Intermittent sounds Page 5-38 the flow chart has me checking

the alternator belt not loose or worn,

90a fuse-fine,

90a fuse cable and 4P connection-fine,

battery voltage-not above 16 or below 10 when engine off, running it was at 14.6

All was well and it referred me to inspect the alternator.

Having twin engines I switched alternators.

I put the known to be good alternator from the starboard engine on the port (problem alarm) engine.
Started the engine and the alarm sounded. Turned it off and turned the key to the ON position and problem continued.

I then became suspect of the buzzer and went to the ignition controls and switched them and the problem remained on the port engine ruling out the ignition switches.

I then moved about a foot down the line from the ignition switches and placed the good engine wire harness and connected it to the port/problem ignition switch and no alarm sounded.

I then took the port/problem engine wires and connected them to the starboard ignition key and when activated the starboard alarm sounded which indicated the problem was in the engine. I then put everything back together under the dash.

I then used the flow chart for the buzzer and alarm and looked at all of the connections. They all appear fine.

The oil pressure sensor is working as I conducted a continuity test.

I took the overheat sensor from the starboard engine and put it in the port.

I installed a new thermostat.

I went to a Honda dealer and they no longer have a marine mechanic.

He directed me to try the intake sensor and switch those (I will Saturday).

He asked about the voltage and I told him the alternators were charging in the 14 volt range.

He suggested I start the problem engine, run it at 2500 rpm and see if it is charging.

I did that and the volts were at 12.5 running, 12.7 with the engines off.

This would lead me to believe it is the alternator, the only problem is that alternator came from the starboard good engine.

I then started the starboard engine and am now getting an intermittent alarm on that engine and the voltage was 12.5, 12.7 when off. Two engines, two batteries, two switches set to ALL.

For both engines I turned one switch off and the other in position one and then started each engine separately. The starboard while running had 12.5 volts and the port while running had 12.7.

The only difference in alarms are as follows.

The original port/problem engine?s intermittent alarm would sound if the key is ON as well as when running.

The starboard side will be intermittent only when running.

The lights on the starboard engine are both green and red and come on (for 2 seconds) when the ignition key is turned to on. Once the engine starts, the green light stays on and the red goes out. When the alarm sounds, the battery light on the dash remains on. There are no blinking lights.

The Port/original problem engine is as follows.
Turn key to ON position and receive the normal two alarms in two seconds and the red and green light comes on. The red light will go out, but the green light remains on. About one second later the intermittent alarm sounds on one second, off one second. Once started, there is no change in the lights as green remains on and red is out. ALarm sounds on one second, off one second.

The MIL does not activate.

We have also swapped out the ECM with the starboard and that is not an issue.

When this problem first started the other day we checked the alternator and both were charging. Now that I have switched the alternators both engines appear not to be charging. The volt readings were taken on the terminals of the batteries.

Saturday I plan on putting the alternators back where they started.
Taking volt readings on the starters of each engine to make sure the dual battery set up isn?t causing a false reading.

The manual indicates the ECM stores MIL codes and needs to be reset. There are no MIL codes so does anyone know if the port/original problem engine stores an audible code. Which would explain why the starboard alternator moved to the port/problem engine alarm still sounded?

Thoughts?

This is not an overheat issue as the engines were started cold.

I just remembered this.
We took the problem alternator and put t on the starboard side and hooked uo the battery cables to see if that was the problem.
The problem did not recreate so I said screw it, leave that one there and just put the starboard alternator in the port engine. While doing so, Jake (my son) got a big arc at the alternator because I forgot to disconnect the battery cable.
Think I fried both and that is now the reason for the alternator not charging? If so, what was the cause of the first issue. The alarm?

OK, recheck.

Forget everything I wrote above. My son was helping me for the first time work on an engine and this is what I learned. Went out this am and bought new batteries. Installed, engines running, neither alternator was charging.

Go to pull the starboard alternator and see that my son didn?t connect a wire to the alternator. Funny, but one connected, that engine runs fine and is charging.

Look at the port engine, the one that I screwed up on and left the battery connected. Blown 90amp fuse. Replaced.

Both engines charging. Scratching my head with the intermittent alarm. I question the port/problem engines MIL light. Test and it is bad. dig under the dash and switch the port and starboard MIL connections and start the engine.

Hey, the MIL is lit.
Short the ECM and get the following codes.

3 MAP sensor

6 ECT sensor
24 Overheat sensor

Each has the possibility of an OPEN in the wire. I doubt that as I looked and can?t find anything.

Swapped the port engines MAP and Overheat sensor with the starboard. Alarm still sounds.

Now, the ECT sensor. I can not get to it unless I remove the intake manifold. Not impossible, but big job.

Anyone have a trick at testing the the ECT w/o removing the manifold.

Thoughts questions.

If I rip the manifold, I will put a new oil sensor and ECT sensor in.

I could be complaining, but am enjoying the work. Would rather be on the water, but this is the best way to learn your engines and boat.