Tohatsu 5HP 4 stroke MFS5 Gears & gear case problem

Kev_03

Seaman Apprentice
Man what a day!

I was driving along (at full throttle) yesterday in my portabote with 2007 Tohatsu 5hp engine, when all of a sudden there was a crunching noise and the engine stopped. It sounded like a gearcase problem. The propeller was very tight and the pull chord did not want extend. I was unable to re-start the engine and I had to be towed in.

Yesterday evening, I took the gearcase apart and was very surprised to see that the small Bevel Gear (Bevel Gear B) was severely damaged. Half the teeth were missing, the rest were damaged. Bevel Gear A was also severely damaged with some teeth missing and the rest damaged or flattened to some degree. Bevel Gear A looked ok, there may be some slight damage, I will need to take a closer look a little later. There was also some slight nicks and scratches inside the gearcase, most likely due to all the metal flying about the place in there.

I will post up some pictures of the damage later. I was working in the Garage last night and the light was no good for pictures.

Has anyone ever heard of such a problem before? This engine would see light use and I am very careful about oil and lower unit oil changes. I had only done the lower unit oil in February

I was thinking of emailing Tohatsu to see if they might have some insight. Perhaps there was a defective bevel?? Does anyone know if they have a helpful customer service department?

For the repair, I was going to smooth out the nicks and scratches inside the gearcase (wet sand) and the replace the bevels, but I am not sure if this is the correct course of action?? Anyone got any experience of this type of repair? Should I be looking at a replacement lower unit??

I am based in Ireland there are not many(one) Tohatsu dealers and most likely I will be overcharged for the parts. Does anyone know a US company that might be able to get the parts to Ireland at reasonable shipping costs. I’ve ordered from the US before and it’s normally the shipping costs that are high. Also, if anyone out there knows of a replacement lower unit, preferably used, I would be very interested.

I will post up some pictures of the damage a little later.

Thanks Guys,

Kevin

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: Tohatsu 5HP 4 stroke MFS5 Gears & gear case problem

It's seven years old and anything could have caused it. See your local Nissan, Tohatsu, Mercury or Evinrude dealer for parts...The cost of international freight for inexpensive parts, like this engine has, would not make it worthwhile to order them from the U.S.

Kev_03

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the replay Elvin,
It's hard for me to comprehend the gears blowing up like that... I've had engines that were a lot older with many more hours that were fine...

I'll get some local prices and then compare with US. If anyone know off or has a seconf hand lower unit I would be very interested.

Thanks all!

Kevin

MattFL

Master Chief Petty Officer

Check the main shaft, make sure it did not get twisted. I personally would buy a new gearbox and not try to fix the old one.

Kev_03

Seaman Apprentice

Check the main shaft, make sure it did not get twisted. I personally would buy a new gearbox and not try to fix the old one.

Hi Matt,
The main shaft looks fine, not twisted as all. I am leaning towards a replacement gearbox. All I have to do is try to find one :)

Thanks,

Kevin

pvanv

Admiral

In the US, a new LU for the 4/5/6 runs over $600.00 MSRP. You can drop me an email: paul@obersheimersails.com. I may have an idea.

Kev_03

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Matt,

There is quite of bit of scoring inside the gearbox, so I am going to replace the unit. I think this will give me a lot less hassle in the long run... The shaft is fine, no damage at all, which is really helpful.

Kevin

MattFL

Master Chief Petty Officer

In the US, a new LU for the 4/5/6 runs over $600.00 MSRP. You can drop me an email: paul@obersheimersails.com. I may have an idea.

That's almost not worth it for a $1300 motor. Is there any market for used power heads for these things? Maybe you can part out the good half, add the cost of a lower unit and buy a whole new motor?

Kev_03

Seaman Apprentice

That's almost not worth it for a $1300 motor. Is there any market for used power heads for these things? Maybe you can part out the good half, add the cost of a lower unit and buy a whole new motor?

Hi Matt,
Here in Ireland the cost of a new motor would be about $1600 and a second hand lower unit is impossible to find. Given that my engine gets used about 10 - 15 days a year, I think patching it up might be the more reasonable way to go. The other alternative would be to pick up a full engine second hand, but then I might be buying someone's problems :) , but I am looking out for one.

Thanks again for all the advice guys, I really appreciate it.

Kevin