2002 25hp Honda smoking

scrnck

Cadet
My 2002 25hp Honda outboard motor recently started smoking. The only problem I've had is that my kill switch appears to be worn out and I have to manually lift it back up to restart. Sometimes I crank it over and over forgetting to go through this process.

Would this cause a build of gas to enter into the crank system thus causes it to smoke?

The smoke is thick and mainly white with a little blue. It smells like it burnt or from a truck that has low compression.

There is an oil slick behind my boat as well

My mph is dropping.

Would I be flooding it while cranking it with the kill switch inoperable?

I have also had bad luck and hit to rocks this year pretty hard.

Can any one provide some advice please?

Tony

MattFL

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 2002 25hp Honda smoking

It sounds like it is burning oil. I would start by checking the spark plugs to see which cylinder is burning oil. Once you know which cylinder is burning oil, you can start looking for the cause. Also be sure the oil is not over filled.

scrnck

Cadet

It sounds like it is burning oil. I would start by checking the spark plugs to see which cylinder is burning oil. Once you know which cylinder is burning oil, you can start looking for the cause. Also be sure the oil is not over filled.

Hi MattFl, thank you for the advice. I'm not a mechanic but i just recently read where 4 stroke engines can make their own oil. When i check my oil recently it was black, earlier this year it was normal. I do not doubt what you have advised but i'm curious now that since my kill switch has malfunction, if by trying to start when there is no spark that maybe I'm just flooding it. I just did a dry land start up with ear muffs, while making sure that the switch is operating before i tried to start and there is no smoke at all.

I think it might be my own incompetence while fishing ( failing to pull up kill switch before starting). I will check my cylinders but I'm hoping it just my own error.

thanks again,

Tony

MattFL

Making oil is what happens when gas blows by the piston rings and puddles in the oil. Really what happens is the oil is diluted with gas. This blowby happens all the time, but when the engine is hot then the gas steams off, so "making oil" happens most often when the motor does not reach normal temperature. For example, extended periods of very slow running or idling.

Check your oil level before you go any further. It is normal for the oil to get darker with use, but be sure you're changing the oil on the recommended interval (see your manual).

Burning oil and decreased performance are not normal and you need to figure that out before you're left stranded. Did you maybe store the engine on its side, and the wrong side? This could allow oil to find its way into the cylinder(s), but it should burn off and stop smoking pretty quickly.

scrnck

Cadet

Hi, thanks again for taking time to diagnosis my problem.

A few facts:

-I have never removed my motor from the boat, so no storage problems as to what side

-It idles for 90% of the time while fishing

- for the last 4 years my fishing style has been to let it idle

-before my last oil change, the oil level was extremely high and black

-I've used my motor once since I changed it, there is no gas smell in the oil but it did smoke quite heavily during start up on the lake after i failed to fix my kill switch properly

I agree with you about not wanting to get stranded especially since I have been fishing with my son and / or daughter. That is the main reason i'm using this site looking for advice.

Would you have any idea of why it does not smoke on my dry land starts with the ear muffs?

MattFL

Did it only smoke when you first started it up, or did it smoke the entire time it was running? If it only smoked when it first started up but then quickly stopped smoking and ran properly all day, then I wouldn't be that concerned. If it didn't clear up quickly then I would be concerned.

scrnck

Cadet

hi,

it would only smoke when i started it. It would vary from noticeable to holy **** that's a lot of white smoke with a strange smell to it. Once i moved a few feet to get away from it, it never smoked again. So yes only during start ups.

I think i just figured out what to do. I will intentionally disable my kill switch and crank it over a few times and then start it. I may have to change my oil again but that is cheap compared to any other problems.

Besides this issue, my 25 hp 4 stroke Honda has been a wonderful motor with no problems. it would always started on the third crank even after winter storage, great motor, no problems, lacks a little bottom end power but that could be my boat, i have tried all the tilt settings.

thanks MattFl it helps to talk these problems out

I will let you know how it turns out

scrnck

Cadet

Hi MattFL,

I took my boat out fishing today. I tried my best to make sure that my kill switch was operating properly and it did not smoke. I'm 99.9% sure it was just flooding itself.

I also put a new prop on. I went from a 9.25 x 12 to 9 9/10 x 10. I was really impressed with hole shot power that it gave me. I also gained a mph, not a bad day at all.

I do have chirping sound at different rpm's that was not present with my old prop. Do you have any suggestions what that might be?

MattFL

If it's the prop then make sure the prop isn't rubbing on the lower unit. Make sure the thrust washer is in correctly and you didn't over tighten the prob nut.

scrnck

Cadet

I checked for prop scars and couldn't see any. since I changed my prop at the boat launch, I re installed it at home making sure everything fits just right. during my dry land start up, it ran with out any chirping noise,

thanks again for your advice

MattFL

I should have been more clear. Check that the prop isn't lightly rubbing the lower unit where the round part of the prop sticks slightly into the lower unit. If it stopped then great, but if it starts again then check that area.

scrnck

Cadet

HI MattFL,

I finally got back on the water. i believe the smoking was a result of my kill switch malfunctioning causing it too flood. Since I am more aware of it and putting it back in position it no longer smokes

Thank you for all your help, i do appreciate.

I have also been involved in another forum about the noise after installing my new prop and it appears it has happened to another boats-men.

We have not quite confirmed its normal but we are working on it.

Take care and happy boating