8HP TOHATSU 4 Stroke long shaft - What would you pay for one ?

Ghost21

Seaman Apprentice
I have a chance to buy a 8hp tohatsu 4 stroke long shaft that's pretty damn new.. The kicker looks pretty damn nice but has a little corrosion here and there. He is asking $1200 is it worth it ??? I'm not sure if it was manual or not.

Should I be going down there first thing ???

What do you think of this kind of kicker ? I'm running my young family in the boat and need something reliable ... HELP!!

pvanv

Admiral
Re: 8HP TOHATSU 4 Stroke long shaft - What would you pay for one ?

The MFS 8 and 9.8 are good motors. Check compression and cooling, as you would for any used OB purchase. That price may be OK, it's about 1/2 the price of new, so if the motor operates as new, you should be fine.

Bronlonius

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That's an average price, but I think you can haggle with the guy. As a reference for price point, my local craigslist currently has a 9.9 4 stroke for $1050:

*** 9.9 Four Stroke ***

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

More like a grand.

Ghost21

Seaman Apprentice

More like a grand.

I just found out its a 2009 with 18hrs on it and still under its 5 year limited warranty.. I will take pictures later.. is the $1200 a better deal now ???

pvanv

Admiral

The model is more important than year of manufacture, and condition is everything on a used motor. The warranty on a 2009 MFS8A3 was 3 years, not 5. Sounds like it may not even be broken-in yet. Test fire it, verify idle, compression and cooling. Offer $1000 and see what happens.

Bronlonius

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree with Paul, if you're standing there with the $1000 cash, they'll probably take your offer.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

It does not have any warranty left on it. It had a three year warranty when it was sold.