Experience with Honda 60 HP tiller

kscheffl

Cadet
I am interested in purchasing a new Honda 60 big tiller 4s outboard. I have heard from other boat dealers that the 60 Honda has problems with vibrations and lugging at idle due to the big bore and stroke with this motor. Any owners out there that can give me a review would be appreciated. I will be running lots of hours at idle trolling so I want to make sure this motor is a good choice.

kscheffl

Cadet
Re: Experience with Honda 60 HP tiller

Lots of views but no replys must not be many of these 60's running on this site. This motor has been quoted at 8700 with the big tiller to me so that is proably why there are not many running; too expensive. It looks like an interesting motor but the stroke length of the piston has me concerned.

el-rey

Recruit

I bought a new honda 60 this year for my rebuilt '59 hiliner. The motor is an absolute dream. My boat is set up for fishing so the majority of my hours has been trolling. It trolls all day on almost no gas and is so smooth you dont even know it's running. I dont have the tiller model, but it's the same engine. Pricey, but they all are now.

kscheffl

Cadet

Nice to know I was concerned about vibration due to the 3 cylinders and the long stroke length. Seem like a real sweet motor plus it has more charge capacity than any other manufacturers. Let me know if you have any issues and the summer proceeds I will likely wait until the boat shows and see what kind of deal I can make.

kscheffl

Cadet

How fast does your Highliner troll at idle? What is the weight of your highliner? Thanks

MattFL

Master Chief Petty Officer

I have the 1999 3 cylinder 50 horsepower version, and it is extremely smooth. It will idle a bit rough if the carburetors get out of sync or the idle is too low, but when its running properly it is very smooth. I don't know why the 60 hp would be any different.

kscheffl

Cadet

Did not realize that the 50's were also a three cylinder. I will need to see how the stroke lengths compare. I am know considering purschaseing the 60 with the oversized gear case since it has an additional 5 amps of charging capacity. Wonder how much faster the boat will troll at idle with a large diameter prop?

MattFL

Master Chief Petty Officer

I don't see how the stroke length would affect how smooth it idles, I think someone is making that up. Search youtube for video reviews, maybe you'll find your answer.

el-rey

Recruit

I dont know the weight of my hiliner but I would guess the hull is 700-800 lbs. It trolls at 2.7-3mph