Honda 200 no power and vibrating

murraybiomed

Recruit
My Honda 200 powers a 21' center console. It has run flawlessly for years. Took it out after 4 months of storage and when going to WOT I have significant loss of power (barely planes), tach only reads 4200 rpm (normally 5800), vibration is felt in floor, and engine is audibly noisy. Take throttle down to idle still in gear and the engine vasilates between idling normally (quietly/smooth) to rough/vibrating and noisy.

The fuel tank is 75 gallons of some old, some new fuel mixed but all it has fuel treatment/preserver. In case it was fuel I siphoned off the fuel in the tank and ran it in my trucks and have not noticed any issues. I plan to add 10 gallons of fresh now that tank is empty and run it in a local lake. Until then I have to operate on the premise that the fuel is good since the trucks are running flawlessly.

The fuel separator is new as well as the engine's onboard filter. I see no signs of water or debris.

I recently (6 months ago) had a 100 hour engine service. After the boat ran properly for several trips since that service.

The engine oil/filter is new and checked in good condition. The lower unit gear oil is new and was checked in good condition.

The prop is a brand new Honda 14.25" 17 degree pitched prop. This replaced a 1\2" larger prop that the prevented engine from reaching the recommended 5800-6000 rpm range. My original larger prop allowed 5400 rpm. So I replaced it with this prop to get the extra rpms. This was that props maiden voyage but I don't believe it is the prop since at idle the engine makes noise/vibrates part of the time. Then it will run smooth and quiet before running rough again. If it was a lower unit/prop issue it would occur all of the time not intermittently.

Visual inspection of the engine looks like a new engine. No water intrusion/corrosion anywhere.

I have an appointment for service in two weeks. Was hoping to resolve before then to get some fish in the box.

Any thoughts on this issue. Thanks in advance!!! Adam

IllesheimVet

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Honda 200 no power and vibrating

My 225 showed much the same symptoms with old fuel. Rough idle and would not reach full RPM. Adding fresh fuel helped somewhat but still would not idle smooth.. I emptied all the old fuel in tank and filters, refilled and was back to a smooth idle.