Tohatsu 40 hp m40c 1996 chugging at idle

Florida813

Recruit
I'm new to this forum.... I just bought a 15 ft center console which is powered by a 40hp Tohatsu. Very first Nissan motor owned. The motor runs awesome! The only problem I have is that it chugs pretty bad at idle. But once you open the throttle it runs perfect. It doesn't die out or stop running. It just chugs at idle speed. Or maybe this is normal for a 2 stroke? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated thanks!

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: Tohatsu 40 hp m40c 1996 chugging at idle

Welcome to the forums,

What's chugging, sort of missing? Probably needs a inmaculate carb clean soaked in cleaning solution for some hours, specially in the slow idle circuit. Other, probably out of correct fuel/air mixture adjustment at idle speed, or idle screw out of correct adjustment giving extremely low rpm...

Happy Boating

pvanv

Admiral
Re: Tohatsu 40 hp m40c 1996 chugging at idle

If you make sure to verify link and sync (timing and throttle arm settings), have the idle stop set correctly, have new plugs, and impeccably clean carbs, the c model should have a nice idle. Sometimes the idle mixture screws are set a little too rich by someone who doesn't really understand them.