Nissan ns55b fuel pump

shepardj

Recruit
Hey...kinda new to the site......but i have a late 80's model nissan ns55b....now i know these are pretty much obsolete....but i've been able to find most parts that i've needed...impeller...ect...but i took off fishing yesterday and discovered i had a small fuel leak. When i removed the engine cover i discovered that the mounted fuel pump was leaking(fuel pump assembly, or diaphram)....the problem is that the inlet nipple broke. From the fuel line connector at the front of the motor the fuel line goes to the pump inlet nipple, the pump is mounted to the side of the block, then out to the dual carbs...NOW my actual question is does nissan or tohatsu still offer this pump? I've found a few across the pond and in australia used on Ebay, but i'd like a brand new one. After a little research and checking pictures online i found that yamaha outboard fuel pumps look EXACTLY the same and Mallory makes a replacement for only like 30 bucks....just wondered if they were actually the same and if this will work on my nissan outboard....any and all help would be greatly appreciated.....

on a side note i tried jbweld to put the nipple back on and after a overnite cure it held great. Put in the water and ran a few miles but after shutting down and fishing a while when i restarted my engine kept dieing out and losing prime....guess jbweld dont really hold up to gasoline. does anyone know anything that would hold these plastic pieces together without the gas affecting it?

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: Nissan ns55b fuel pump

Available from any Nissan or Tohatsu dealer, except me. Still a current part and some Suzuki models use the same one.

pvanv

Admiral

They are available from any Tohatsu/Nissan dealer (yes, even including Elvin... and me). You can drop me an email at the office: paul@obersheimersails.com, and we can help you.

shepardj

Recruit

So how come parts for these outboards are so hard to find? I mean they're just an engine.....bolts, rods, cranks, carbs....most everything should be able to be repaired fairly easily by a skilled mechanic....but simple little stuff like the fuel pump and most of all the water pump impeller are no longer available and basically render you're outboard useless. Especially as simple as a water pump is, you'd think sierra or someone would make one.....its just a nylon core w/ rubber fins on the outside...and additionally does any other impeller that anyone has come across work? As long as the diameter and height of the impeller is the same it should work right?

shepardj

Recruit

And by the way...thanks for you guys help..i'm knew to this site but have been reading alot of you older post reguarding the 40 50 55 60 and 70hp nissan motors...which i guess almost all are nothing more than anchors now...i'm gonna wait till monday and run up to my local outboards shop and see if they can get the fuel pump...or at least order a mallory unit

pvanv

Admiral

The 55 is long obsolete. No demand for parts means that no new parts are being made. Supply and demand. No demand means no supply.

Some parts, which interchange with other motors, such as the fuel pump, are still available new.