Honda BF200A Water Pump Damage

DavidPJ

Seaman Apprentice
I had the water pump replaced on my Honda BF200A last summer. Over this winter I lost my mind and ran the motor for 1-2 minutes with the boat on the lift and prop out of the water. I saw a faint sign of smoke from the lower unit area and and alarm went off inside the boat. I immediately shut down the motor, waited for a few minutes, and lowered the motor in the water. I ran the motor for about 5 minutes and it seemed like it was pumping water properly and no more alarm.

Even though the pump seems to be working, do you think I should have the water pump replaced just in case? Are these water pumps somewhat tolerant of running dry for a short period of time?

Thanks.

Jon Boat Jim

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Honda BF200A Water Pump Damage

If it smoked, you know it got hot. The high temp would really cook the rubber impeller and make it brittle. It will likely come apart (eventually) in little pieces and clog some of the cooling water passages. This could happen any time, any place, and leave you stranded. You could fry the engine when it fails and warp a head and /or have even more catastropic damage. Bottom line....replace it now. You'll feel better and have confidence that the motor will get you where you want to go and get you back home.

DavidPJ

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Honda BF200A Water Pump Damage

If it smoked, you know it got hot. The high temp would really cook the rubber impeller and make it brittle. It will likely come apart (eventually) in little pieces and clog some of the cooling water passages. This could happen any time, any place, and leave you stranded. You could fry the engine when it fails and warp a head and /or have even more catastropic damage. Bottom line....replace it now. You'll feel better and have confidence that the motor will get you where you want to go and get you back home.

Thanks Jon Boat Jim,

Your right, it's not worth taking the chance. It just kills me that I just replaced the water pump last summer. Oh well, lesson learned the hard way.

mlauri

Recruit
Re: Honda BF50A questoin

Re: Honda BF50A questoin

I ran a BF50A Honda motor with pee hole plugged and caused water to shoot out the side of the lower unit. Is this a problem if I only ran for 1 minute before I recognized the problem? Did not get over heated just was water restriction and wondering if I have to change seals in lower unit now or not?

Thanks Mike