cooling water problem on Nissan two stroke 3.5 with long shaft

steve earley

Recruit
I've got a Nissan two stroke 3.5 hp with a long shaft about eight years old. Pretty well maintained. Water impeller kit has been installed twice over the years. Steady stream of water when new, declining to a steady dribble when impeller has a couple of years on it. Used first time on the water this year yesterday. No water at all dripping out of the tube. I only had it running a couple of minutes (sailing the rest of the time), but did not like seeing the lack of water.

At home today tried to run water through the system. It would not go. Tried to blow air through the tube, it would not go. Took off the lower unit and tried to force water up the tube and it would not go. Used wires to run in through both tubes to clean them out. No improvement.

I've clean what I can, but I am not sure of the water's path in the upper unit. What should I do next?

thanks a bunch

steve

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: cooling water problem on Nissan two stroke 3.5 with long shaft

Pop the power head off and see what and where the clog is.

pvanv

Admiral

Yep. It's possible that a chunk broke off an old impeller, or some debris got up the water tube.

steve earley

Recruit

Hey guys, thanks for the advice. I was looking at parts lists for needed gaskets, looking at the power head to see how to remove it, then decided to run a wire into the tell tale one more time before I got in any deeper. Used a stronger wire - a straightened out paper clip - and really jammed it in there, used pliers to push it in. More force than I like to use. After a while I got it to slide in about three inches, worked it in and out several times. Put the outboard in a five gallon bucket and cranked it up. Got a steady stream of water at idle - it hasn't done that since it was brand new. When I throttle up the water jets out. Attached photo is at idle. Clearing that opening with a wire is something I will do once or twice a season. Somebody also suggested using vinegar to dissolve the salt, which I may do also.

Thanks again for the help. steve outboard.jpg

Yep. It's possible that a chunk broke off an old impeller, or some debris got up the water tube.

pvanv

Admiral

The telltale is not the only way water gets out; in fact, it's a small amount of the overall cooling water. If you could not force water into the water tube when you had the LU off, there is still something amiss.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

I think this was a case of a bad description of the problem.

steve earley

Recruit

I should have said I was able to run water easily up the intake tube after cleaning out the tell tale. steve

The telltale is not the only way water gets out; in fact, it's a small amount of the overall cooling water. If you could not force water into the water tube when you had the LU off, there is still something amiss.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Good peeing, rinse engine with fresh water after each outing, 3.5 has narrow water passages that can clog over time. Or buy a water flusher adapter and flush engine with a garden hose connected to the adapter. Screws side to small peeing hose. Will have better water pressure through all crankcase assy than the one the pump proveys.

Happy Boating

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

The 3.5 two-stroke does not have a flusher.