Tachometer v Wiring Harness...do they go together?

tschwer01

Cadet
i ordered a tachometer wiring harness from my local Tohatsu dealer for my 2004 25hp 4-cyc. It's got to be the correct part, right?

I ordered a Teleflex 4-stroke tachometer online which is said to work with any 4 cycle motor.

I attached 2 pictures: one of harness connections and one of the tachometer. Do these work together? Doesn't seem to have any similar connections.

Thanks,

Tim

tach harness.jpg

tach teleflex.jpg

pvanv

Admiral
Re: Tachometer v Wiring Harness...do they go together?

All Tohatsu systems use an alternator tach. The white/yellow are the sender leads. Your tach may or may not work; the signal levels and pulse durations may or may not be compatible. That said, if you power-up the tach, and apply signal, it MAY (or may not) show the results you want.

Why not just buy the correct Factory instrument, which, amongst other things, would have the appropriate wiring connectors, and would be known to work correctly?

You will of course need to have switched +12v and ground to power up that tach, and you will need to set the pole switch correctly. Full info on pole settings and the Tohatsu wiring diagrams is in the Tohatsu Factory service manual, available from any dealer, including me.

Last edited:

tschwer01

Cadet

I thought all Tachs were the same. Teleflex was $60, the Tohatsu was $133.

Are you saying that if I bought the Tohatsu tach all i would have to do is connect the white and yellow wires and I'd be done?

Thanks. Remember, I'm just a Cadet!

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

You thought wrong a nd sort of. There ia an additional wiring harness you have to buy that goes from the existing wiring harness to the Tohatsu tach...Generic tachometers may sometimes work. They often do not.

pvanv

Admiral

I thought all Tachs were the same. Teleflex was $60, the Tohatsu was $133.

Are you saying that if I bought the Tohatsu tach all i would have to do is connect the white and yellow wires and I'd be done?

Thanks. Remember, I'm just a Cadet!

It's possible to make your own harness, if you are proficient at wiring. Then, if the tach is compatible, you are OK. Personally, I use Chevy parts on Chevies, Toyota parts on Toyotas, and Tohatsu parts on Tohatsus...