B100 honda Blue smoke , sat for 10 years , dies ,

pops58

Recruit
Hello !
I have an old honda 10 hp outboard on a 1958 Crestliner I got from a lady who`s husband had died 10 years ago and the boat sat ever since ! Fixed up the boat itself already ,Now working on the engine , Changed all the fluids , Spark plugs , fuel lines, fuel tank ,filter , Fired up in about 4 pulls ! had a lot of blue smoke ! Called the local marine mechanic he said to take it down to the lake and run it , oil leaks into the cylinders sitting that long ! so I did and after about 4 or 5 minutes running it died !! Wouldnt start again so I let it sit for 30 minutes or so " fishing " And it fired right up again worked my way back to the dock trail of blue smoke behind me died once more just before getting to the dock ! Also noticed that water intermittantly stops coming out the rear drain tube ! Any ideas on whats wrong !!!
Eng serial # b100s-170821
Thanks Pops

Jon Boat Jim

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: B100 honda Blue smoke , sat for 10 years , dies ,

Did you inspect the water pump and replace the impeller? You should have. After ten years, it may have broken apart when the motor was started and rubber parts may now be blocking the cooling passages. Hence, the intermittant/weak stream. This might have caused the engine to overheat.

pops58

Recruit
Re: B100 honda Blue smoke , sat for 10 years , dies ,

Thank you Jon Boat Jim ! That is exactly what the Marine mechanic I talked to yesterday said !