honda BF8A will not start in neutral, but will in gear???

fairshopperguy27

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Heys Guys & gals. This is a weird one, my 2000 Honda 8hp will absolutely not start in neutral, but as soon as i shift into foward gear you pull the cord it will start. I noticed the little green light does not blink while pulling on the cord with it in neutral, but does blink while pulling the cord in foward gear?? and thats when it will fire. So I am assuming (but need to check) that its not getting spark in neutral. I was thinking maybe it was the neutral safety switch, but I dont want to spend like $80 bucks on it if thats not the problem. Any ideas?

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: honda BF8A will not start in neutral, but will in gear???

Okay,as you are looking at the front of this engine on the rear of your boat with the cover off you will see a magnetic switch activated by a simple halls effect slotted cam .There are three cams on that lobe, only one is open in neutral because there is nothing there.If there has been recent waterpump work done on this engine it is possible those lobs are loose or misalighned or that switch may have gone to hell.

fairshopperguy27

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: honda BF8A will not start in neutral, but will in gear???

Okay got it!!! There was a mark that needed to be aligned with the edge of the neutral safety switch. Fires right up in neutral now. Thanks