How often should the water pump impeller be replaced on 90hp nissan?

ronboonville

Petty Officer 1st Class
Had this motor for several years and it has been very dependable. It had an impeller stored in a cup holder when I purchased boat maybe 6 years ago and it didn't look new but didn't look worn out either. I only use it about 20 hours a year. Next question is if it a difficult job? I think it is a model 90A. Any help or thots appreciated.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: How often should the water pump impeller be replaced on 90hp nissan?

Impellers do last very long, some boaters change them yearly, others each 2 years, manual states each 300 hours, If engine is still peing right, you could extend it's service life a bit. Get a service manual to know how to change impeller, it's easy and straightforward.

Happy Boating

pvanv

Admiral

The Factory requires you "inspect or replace" it annually.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The worst time to replace an impeller is after it has failed on the water. Calendar time ages rubber too.

Please change at least every two years, better annually.

ronboonville

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys, I change the plugs every year, and will replace impeller this year. Any other things I should do?

pvanv

Admiral

Consider installing the complete water pump kit, instead of just the impeller. That gives you a new stainless cup and wear plate, plus the impeller key, etc. Pumps better, and lasts longer. You would be amazed at how a slight side-wall groove -- of only a few thousandths of an inch -- in the cup or plate can reduce the pump's output. The kit is available from any Tohatsu/Nissan dealer, including me. We'll need your exact model/serial.

Last edited by a moderator: