honda b100 oil pressure light

robert53a

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi I just bought an old (1985) honda b100. It old beat up ,but appears to run good and pump water good. The oil pressure light is not lite, so I have only run it at idle for a minute. i need to check the oil system for pressure but before i go look for a test gauge. i have pulled the light out(undid the connectors and removed from case). How do you test this light? Can I use a multi meter or hook it directly to a battery? Thanks for you help......Robert

ricovw

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: honda b100 oil pressure light

Hook it up to a 9volt battery. You can also check the output from the motor to the light. I can't remember the voltage, but I think it was .5 volts.

robert53a

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the help, After doing your check i have found the light is burnt out. A new one is on the way. Thanks

robert53a

Petty Officer 2nd Class

These lights are strange. I hooked the new light to the 9volt battery and got nothing. I also used a multi-meter to check continuity on the 2000 oms setting and it showed it was open. Here's the kicker, I installed it on the motor and it worked. I'll leave well enough alone. It's still puzzling for my old brain......Robert

pvanv

Admiral

That's because it's not an incandescent lamp. It's an LED. The D is for diode. Conducts one way (with about a 0.7v drop), and is "open" in the other direction.